any help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerooo

Reaction score
i would like to be a qualified electrician ,i was told to enroll city guilt 2330 part 1 and 2 in the college,i contacted the college unfortunately there is no space for me as i wanted to book for next year but they said they got lots of people in waiting list for the next 2 years,so i am wondering if i could do the cources required online by OLCI company? is the online courses qualification recognised in the job market? i am really confused what to do as i dont want waste time to wait 2 years for college.thank u.

I'm not one in the know however keep in regular contact with the college and try to get to know some of the lecturers. You never know some one might drop out

Hello Nerooo, Welcome to the forum.

Funnily enough, I was saying on this thread Here, (post #11).

The same thing happened when I applied for my course. I hounded them with E-mails. I also had limited experience too (practice in my workshop/shed and in my own home). and told them about that. (before I told them that, they wanted me to go on a "Technical Certificate Level 1 Electrical Competence" course. (1 Year Long).

Anyway, I did my research and was awilling to travel to get into college to do this course. (50 mile radius).

I stunned the lecturer into giving me a place. even told him that I would be prepared to come in and take the place of a drop out.

They know who wants to learn and who doesn't.

I first emailed the lecture (and his colleges - depending who replied) from, I think, it was March - before the September that I started. (Last Year).

Good Luck,

Admin.

but the thing is i got chance to enroll online courses by OCLI,BUT I AM NOT SURE IF IS WORTH TO DO IT OR NOT because i was told the online courses not recognised in the job market is that true?thanks.

Hallo m8

I wouldn't take any notice in ref to comments such as the open learning courses aren't recognised by the job trade , at the end of the day you are coming out of the course with your C&G Level 2 and 3 2330 and with an NVQ regardless of whether or not you have been to college for 2 yrs or taken 2 yrs open learning to do both , you dont put on your CV C&G2330 level 2 (OLCI open learning) , I study with OLCI and pay with my own money so for that reason I study hard and get the best out of the practical sessions , ask a million questions each session basically chew the instructors ears off, 1 thing I will say is the open learning course is more effective if you already have an understanding in electrical theory i.e. ohms law, electrons, resistance, capacitance etc the reason being is the practical sessions do concentrate on working with materials i.e steel conduit, PVC,MICC,SWA, lighting circuits 1 way,2way etc if you are at a loose end you could maybe do an ONC or a HNC in electronic and electrical engineering whilst you do your open learning course. This course includes all the theory and more than you would get when doing your C&G2330

If you want to do the 2330 then yeah however it is pricey , would you be getting it free at college?

Have you tried other colleges in the area ? The courses are popular so you should be prepared to travel outside of your postcode sector.

Goodluck

nothing is for free at the moment,even in the college i would have to pay,the question is just about time.i have benn looking in many colleges so the nearest is about 64 miles.

nearest is about 64 miles.
Thats a bit of a killer in you are doing night classes. Would it be possible to do a whole day at college on an adult learner course?

Going to a college against online has the advantages of your all in the same boat learning wise

any maths/theory problems are more easily sorted out.

You will meet other people in the same situation and pick up tips from any one already working perhaps even get a chance at tagging along if your lucky.

Tutor also get asked by employers sometimes about potential employees so you might get a start with a company.

If your working in another job people often ask why your taking Fridays off to go to college. You will be surprised at the number of little changing light fitting etc you can pick up, helps pay for the petrol/beer fund! Not really taxing I admit but you get to practice some of the tool work learnt in the workshop. All easy stuff that a local spark wouldn't consider viable to do.

Don't give up and good luck.

Hallo m8at the end of the day you are coming out of the course with your C&G Level 2 and 3 2330 and with an NVQ regardless of whether or not you have been to college for 2 yrs or taken 2 yrs open learning to do both ,
thomo correct me if i am wrong but dont you need to do th NVQ's on site and not in college. Did you do your NVQ's during you OLCI practical sessions? or have i comletely missunderstood?

i think i ll get the open courses with olci,and start.other wise if i ll wait for the college it ll take ages to do those courses.