anybods up on the 5839 regs?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not drinking my beer,Ive hid KMEs beer in wiz's garage.

:D :D
Welshy mentioned something about KME having a "Cob on" over his missing beer. He didn't have a clue where it went. ]:)

He does now. :^O

To return to MY o/p......

No .Before I do, if "sticker boy" has put his grubby mitts on my "Guinness", than god help him, `cos I won`t!!!!!X( X(

Now then. I also posted my original question on a "fire" forum.

Spookily, A main contributor is called "wiz"; and he refers to the place as an asylum.

Needless to say, I felt right at home. ?:|

Wonder if its the same wiz???????

Hi KME, I'm glad it's not just me who can't get to the bottom of these regs:_|.

It seems if not HMO you can do almost anything you like, including battery only detectors in a 3 storey victorian property - local council considered this acceptable. Same council as soon as you hit HMO on similar property insist on full fire panel. It seems no one has definitive answers to your question, altough you could also take advice from loacal fire-officer to get a more practical view of things.

IMHO i would opt for the AICO radio link system to a panel (the panel is mostly to aid the fire brigade locate exact position of fire) - parts are dearer but massie saving on installation time, and flexible enough to re-work at later date if requirements change. Smokes on stairwells, heat inside flats as you describe - this gives good coverage of fire escape routes and places 'sounder' within each property. Within each flat, without knowing layout, a single centrally placed smoke is probably acceptable - same as mimimum requirement for re-wire.

The only other thing I would consider is emergency lighting on stairwells and possibly in entrance to each flat.

Hope this helps, its a very confusing subject.

Thanks Binky.

I also posted this question on a fire & safety forum I found:

http://www.fire.org.uk/punbb/upload/index.php

I`ll put it in the links section; as they seem to be brilliant for these questions (a bit like us, only on fire regs!)

They`re responses are there for everyone to see; however, I`ll just provide the basics here:

Property is NOT HMO; 5839 pt.6 covers individual flats; but not communal area. HMSO publication "Fire Protection in Sleeping Accomodation" does; but also calls for 30min fire doors at entrance to flats - which we don`t have.

They`re proposing a LD2/D communal+heat in 1st room of each flat. Seperate LD2/D in each flat. Possibly with panel to determine location - which then makes it a C grade. In which case, there`s no point having seperate LD2 systems within each flat - may as well put a full grade C in.

If the fire doors are installed, and compartmentation is sufficient, then the communal area doesn`t need ANY coverage, and an LD2/D within each flat would be acceptable.

Very, VERY confusing area. ?:| ; \ ?:| :( ; \ :_| ?:| ? :|

Thanks Binky.I also posted this question on a fire & safety forum I found:

http://www.fire.org.uk/punbb/upload/index.php

. ?:| ; \ ?:| :( ; \ :_| ?:| ? :|
Good link thanks for that KME. Like the reply aswell, it makes sense, but not convinced linking smokes within flats to fire panel is good idea - someone burns toast at nidnight after pub, everyone gets woken up. I did a lot a reading on the subject sometime ago (promptly forgotten again) and have been trying to track down a decent training course locally. Will have another look because its someyhing to get into that's more interesting than domestic electrics, and I kind of like a challenge.

So, for this idea of yours - per block. Could you provide me a tad more info please?
At this rate..

One more line to the instruction every two nights.....

Should be around .... erm..

Thu 17th July (I think) when you get the complete instruction m8! :D ;) :x ; \ ; \ :^O

Oooooh morning brain wave:D. Using radiolinks you wouldn't need a fire panel thereby avoiding C system but giving coverage as prescibed by fire forum and linking between flats if desired in communal areas.

Oooooh morning brain wave:D. Using radiolinks you wouldn't need a fire panel thereby avoiding C system but giving coverage as prescibed by fire forum and linking between flats if desired in communal areas.
Yeah, but:

1. Joe public / fire dept. wouldn`t know where the fire / false alarm was originating from.

2. r.e yesterdays post on false alarms. The kitchen & lounge (which are adjacent) would both have "rate of heat rise" alarms - burnt food would`n set them off!