Anyone else found they didn't fit in ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the past I worked for many firms after coming on the tools  some good , some bad .   

With a firm once on a Gulf Oil storage  depot ......   basically  giant tanks of petrol  & tankers in & out for deliveries.      The firm's  onsite supervisor was a tosser ,   loved it if you were 5 mins late  so he could  phone the office & report you .     He'd say  , fix this panel to the wall , there,  then  I'll tell you what to do next .   So  guys stood around for waiting for him all the time  .Idiot!!

So its when we had really bad winters ,  one Monday morning its a big snow fall & freezing cold  , really cold  !!1   I got to site OK  ,  couple of others but no Tosser  .      I knew what  I needed to do so after an hour  I go to this panel  out in the open  but can't clean the compound off the cable lead sheath sheaths  as we're only allowed to use diesel  to  clean it off  but its too cold .  

So I go the Gulf office  , tell the safety guy where I am & can I have a gas torch permit ....yes  you can .    

So wonderful , I'm warm with the gas torch going  & I can now make off all the cables  coming out of the ducts .

The Tosser came in the next day when the roads were clearer ,    didn't believe we had even been in  ,  I put him right ,  told him  I'd finished the panel  because I used the gas torch ....he does his nut  at me until I show him my permit .        

He could not cope with the average spark using any initiative  ...I didn't last there much longer .      

Been there, done that, the last job I was on was on the railway, now I'm the electrician but the site manager wanted to run the show, he'd come out of his car first thing in a morning, head to his cabin and polish his shiny brown shoes! My first job was to take a supply to a distribution unit to feed temporary cabins, I drilled a hole in the side of the fibreglass cabin that the feed came from so I could take my feed out, the hole was 50 mm diameter and drilled about 200 mm from the base of the cabin, this was done to allow me to get a decent bend on the cable to feed it into the duct, he went mental!

He went into a rant about how it was his site and how I should have consulted him before drilling the hole, it shouldn't have been that size, and whats more it should have been at floor level. He wouldn't accept that the hole height was selected to meet the bend radius of the cable, or that the 50mm diameter was to allow me to fit a blanking plug when the job was over. He was farcical, he couldn't read electrical drawings yet insisted on telling me how to do my job, yet he hardly came out of his cabin, you'd ask him to look at something at 10am and it would be about 1pm before he'd come out of his hidey hole, by which time the job had been done.

The final straw came when I was told by the contracts manager to remove the platform lighting on all the platforms, the site manager told me to get it done over the next 2 days, he wouldn't be there as he was going back to head office to attend a meeting, so he told his understudy to tell me to remove all the lights on 10 platforms, I was stood net to him at this point.

The following day he rang up and his understudy told him I was halfway through removing the lights, he went mental and denied issuing the instruction, it was me jumping the gun again, apparently! Despite several people hearing his instruction about the lights, he denied it, I'd had enough and walked, it was a him or me situation, and the firm wouldn't sack him even though everyone was complaining about him.

A couple of months later the firm rang me, they'd sacked him as he'd made a complete hash of the job which was several months behind, would I go back? No, I wouldn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts