Anyone notice local accents disappearing ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and as for the Lassie in Holyroyd, just imagine if somebody in Westminster went on about the Scots like she does about the English 
Oh that doesn't count  mate ....its been open day against us for some years now ,  Yet we must be the minority now .  

Its a strange world  now where  the shameful actions of a US policeman   lead to threats against the  Churchill  statue at Westminster .  

I have a rather odd accent, or so I'm told, I sound a bit like Fred Dibnah, or at least I do when I'm away from the wife, she hates it and constantly tells me to 'speak properly' well that is how I speak. Some years ago my stepdaughter who worked in a factory asked if she could bring a friend home for dinner one night, apparently she was from the north east and had something wrong with her, hardly anyone spoke to her at work and the poor young girl was really miserable. A bit of digging revealed she was a Geordie, so a night was arranged for her to come over, I got some 'dog' in the fridge, and the wife and my stepdaughter decided to cook dinner leaving myself and the young girl in the lounge.

Well, we got chatting and out came the bottles of 'dog', or 'broon' as some people call it, she's telling me how nobody understands her so they just don't talk to her, I start telling her jokes and asking her stuff and suddenly she realises that I understand her (I had a good mate from Newcastle years ago so I had no bother with the accent), she ends up sat on the floor by my feet with a beer in her hand laughing hysterically, there's tears pouring down her face. My stepdaughter comes running in thinking there's something wrong, sees the tears and asks what I've done  to the poor girl!

She eventually explains that I've done nothing wrong, it's just it's the first time in months that she's had a proper conversation with anyone! He's great, he actually understands me, she tells my girl, we spend a pleasant evening drinking 'dog' and chatting like idiots. When she left it got even funnier, my stepdaughter thought it was really nice of me to make the effort to chat with her friend with the 'speech problem', she was amazed when I explained that her 'problem' was just a really heavy Geordie accent. lol

Racism only lives in the minds of people, which comes out in their attitudes, I would say that maybe 30yrs ago racism was about, but today in this country not a chance, we’ve had to many politicians wanting a multicultural society to be deemed a racist country. The real problem is that the ‘blacks’ read as Africans don’t want to let it go because if they did they’d have nothing to argue about. There have been many a successful ‘black’ person in many different sectors of life so how can they argue that they don’t get the same opportunities as the white folk?

Also ask yourself this, What has the African man ever achieved? Their as they call it home countries are classified as third world, their houses are a basic shell, their technological development is next to nothing so I don’t think it is a race issue more perhaps let’s take a look at ourselves issue and see what we contribute to the world? 
I have had first hand experience of the black African attitudes, as anyone who lives in many areas of London has, They do not come across as very nice people- I will say that that doesn’t count for all but the majority that I have experienced. 

I don’t think that we will ever abolish racism, not for the white mans want of trying but because the ‘black’ community will not move forward. I remember back in the 80’s we were not allowed to use the n word but they still can, we were not allowed to call them coloured, but they still reference themselves as coloured, we were told we can not call them black as they are not black but they still call themselves black, so for all our listening and adapting it changes nothing for them? 
I know of first hand experiences that in Africa the whites built houses with running water, toilets etc and the blacks destroyed them because that’s not how they live so the question is what more can we do? 
Until they change their attitudes then we are fighting a losing battle. 

but to pick up on Johns post, I agree I am bored of people coming here from other cultures and wanting us to change and adapt to suit their believes of how a country should be, if their country’s ways are so good then why leave? 

It is time for all to accept that we are one race on one planet.

I agree with what you are saying, remember 'love thy neighbour'? Well you had the white bloke taking the mick out of the black fella, calling him Sambo, or Nig nog, but when you looked at it it was always the black fella who had the last laugh, same with 'in sickness and in health',  Alf Garnett, he was always having a go at that black fella, his wife's carer, not only for being black, but also for being a pouff, but it always backfired on him. Now to me that sort of thing was anti racist, it was like 'look you think the blacks are stupid, but they're actually quite clever' and yet still people complain it's racist, but then again that was how it was back then, times have moved on a lot of stuff has changed, you can't alter the past, only pick out the bad bits and learn to never repeat them.

I knew a copper she was tasked to deal with 'black on black' crime, shootings, stabbings etc, so she's in a majority black area stopping young black males late at night, she explains to them why she's stopping them, because of all the blacks stabbing or shooting each other and the next thing someone complains that she's being racist! FFS she's investigating black on black crime, there'd be ****** all point stopping Chinese blokes would there!

Integration has to be a 2 way street and unfortunately a lot of the younger blacks won't have it, we have to accept their ways and habits, but they won't accept ours, like others on here I really do fear for our future.

I always remember a double LP that was released by the Liverpool Echo in 1971 called Echoes of Merseyside which featured dialect and songs from a lot of famous and not so famous scousers at the time. One of the bits I quite often chuckle about was the young kid at school and the teacher was teaching them how to talk posh so the kid goes home and tells the mum and dad what they have learnt that day and gets told by dad to talk proper and none of that posh stuff

When I was at school I had a mate whose grandad came to live with his parents after his nan died he originally came from Westhoughton and had a very strong Lancashire accent, occasionally he would go off into Lancs speak which is a bit like Geordie, it was slow down and explain cos I ain't got a clue what you are on about when he found out I was left handed instead of being called by my name he always called me kibbut (don't know if the spelling is right)

Looking at some local dialect sites it is quite surprising how a lot of words and phrases have now found their way into the mainstream of conversation across the country probably due to the more mobile society we have now

I agree with what you are saying, remember 'love thy neighbour'? Well you had the white bloke taking the mick out of the black fella, calling him Sambo, or Nig nog, but when you looked at it it was always the black fella who had the last laugh, same with 'in sickness and in health',  Alf Garnett, he was always having a go at that black fella, his wife's carer, not only for being black, but also for being a pouff, but it always backfired on him. Now to me that sort of thing was anti racist, it was like 'look you think the blacks are stupid, but they're actually quite clever' and yet still people complain it's racist, but then again that was how it was back then, times have
Thats exactly right ... my neighbours are black , nice people but carry some misconceptions .  They thought "Love Thy Neighbour "   was a racist programme  but had never actually seen it .   

My recollection  is the same as Phil d  .......... yes the two blokes were always sniping at each other  with names like Sambo, Nig-nog  ,  whitey,  honky   etc  ..BUT ...the two wives immediately became friends  .and THAT was the whole point ..that neighbours CAN get on  .    As the series progressed  , my memory is the two blokes slowly become friends . 

Same with Alf Garnett , as Phil says ,  he is shown as being bigoted .