Anyone want a laugh?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
click here

wonder when the first call will be to fit one of these?!

maybe i should contact the supplier now to get a good deal for the thousands of homes that will be constantly calling to get one?

I don't get it ! Does it reduce the voltage ? In which case the current will rise and the meter will spin faster. Is it a domestic PFC unit or what? The appliances have not been derated , just working on a lower voltage. 1 KW :- by 240v = 4.166 Amps.

1 KW :- by 220v = 4.54 amps.

you pay for power used.

now take a kettle for example. because of less voltage, there will be less amps flowing. so its using less power. which makes sense upto that point. but what it doesn't then say, is it takes longer to heat the water, so uses the same amount of power! so your not saving anything...

and dont motors used more power when the voltage is lower? and possibly overheat because of it? i.e your fridge!

and why is he going on about everything being designed for 220v?! were on 230V! (well, 240V!)

I don't get it ! Does it reduce the voltage ? In which case the current will rise and the meter will spin faster. Is it a domestic PFC unit or what? The appliances have not been derated , just working on a lower voltage. 1 KW :- by 240v = 4.166 Amps.1 KW :- by 220v = 4.54 amps.
Ahh, but you are using "1kW" as the constant... the only thing which is constant is the resistance of the appliance..

MPT QUITE RIGHTSay you have a 12.5ohm appliance,, at 240v it will use 3kW but at 220v it will use 2.75kW

So it will save you money..

I recon it's an auto transformer!!

Last edited by a moderator:
very sceptical. the power equipment uses doesn't change

even if the voltage is up or down a bit simple ohms law.

i'd perhaps accept if some sort of pfc would help but at the levels of lag we have in domestic is tiny.

Ahh, but you are using "1kW" as the constant... the only thing which is constant is the resistance of the appliance..Say you have a 12.5ohm appliance,, at 240v it will use 3kW but at 220v it will use 2.75kW

So it will save you money..

I recon it's an auto transformer!!
but for heating appliances etc, it will still need the same total energy, itll just take longer!

its the same as getting rid your 2KW heater and replacing it with a 1KW to 'save energy'

and i dont think that auto transformer would last long with a house running from it

you pay for leccy in watts, so if you lower the voltage using the same current you lower the watts. but this would have to be mounted before the meter to save money? right? and after united utilities have charged you 500quid to install it you'll be getting more and more out of pocket!

missing the point people....

how can it be money saving ?????? after paying for the unit and having it installed when would you start reaping the savings

more questions than answers .....

What they failed to mention is that they took the 250V measurement at 00.00 Hrs. And the 220V Measurement at 08.00 Hrs. :^O

how? resistance is fixed. so if there is less voltage, there is less current
a 1kw kettle ran at 220 will pull more current than if ran at 240v

Could play havoc with voltage drop calcs, and if and when the reduction in this country goes to 230v what will happen then.

I would hate to have to test for IR and Ze through that contraption, may be I am just being fussy I dont think I will be getting a lot of calls from anyone.

If they made it smaller for individual appliances then I could see a good use for it.