Approved Contractor ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

totalstu

Reaction score
Good evening all, i have ten years experience as a general builder and have completed lots of minor electrical alterations and additions, any major jobs have always had an Niceic "approved contractor" in to do the work. 

I would like to further my skills, have a career in a specific trade and i think electrical is my best bet, i have a reasonable understanding and have just gone to Niceic's training center in Dunstable and sat the 17th edition 4 day course with the City & Guilds 2382-12 multiple choice exam at the end. 
I bought myself a fluke multi function meter and have gone round doing Eicr's at friends and family's houses and feel quite confident using it and interpreting the results. 
I have read Guidance note 3, Best practice guide on Classification codes and numerous Niceic training books

The guys from the training center suggested i should then sit the 2394 & 2395 courses on offer, sign up to the approved contractor scheme then go out in the world and call my self a sparky ?

Looking for a little thoughts and guidance please people, I don't want to go down the apprenticeship route as i am working full time and have a mortgage so the prospect of years at apprentices wage is not an option. 

Best route, courses to take ?

I think electrical work is less likely to destroy my back in the same way that house bashing is, i am working currently as a contractor for a firm who does a lot of property maintenance and the only outsourced work is electrical, there is a mountain of work waiting for me when i am qualified and competent to do so. 

I am not knocking the apprenticeship route at all and i appreciate that it is how the majority of people get started, it isn't an option though when you have kids and a mortgage hence the looking for another practical route in. 

I have a reasonable technical knowledge already and of all trades it interests me the most

I understand there is more to it then just a few short courses and boom go out in the world and that's it, i never said your 5 year training wasnt required but so far i have only been advised to go sit the 2394 & 2395 . Looking for some useful suggestions peeps. 

I think electrical work is less likely to destroy my back in the same way that house bashing is, i am working currently as a contractor for a firm who does a lot of property maintenance and the only outsourced work is electrical, there is a mountain of work waiting for me when i am qualified and competent to do so. 

I am not knocking the apprenticeship route at all and i appreciate that it is how the majority of people get started, it isn't an option though when you have kids and a mortgage hence the looking for another practical route in. 

I have a reasonable technical knowledge already and of all trades it interests me the most

I understand there is more to it then just a few short courses and boom go out in the world and that's it, i never said your 5 year training wasnt required but so far i have only been advised to go sit the 2394 & 2395 . Looking for some useful suggestions peeps. 
well, therin lies the crux,

its gonna be a few years yet Im afraid, and probably working for very little money to get there,

doing a 5week wonder course and paying a few K for the priviledge is NEVER going to make you competent,

only time and experience will,

although it is going down, due to more and more people getting me in first,

the beginnings of my self employment most of my private work [ >80% ] was following on from 5ww and short course or ex military/navy guys, and sorting out their mess ups,

just because they had the bits of paper didnt mean they had a clue in the real world.

How old are you? I work for a builder well sub contract. One of there guys who is in his 40's has retrained to do the gas and plumbing. He is really struggling with it. As for backs I spend £40 a month on my back see a back guy otherwise I end up in agony. When you have crawled around in a loft putting cables in your back really will know about it. Good luck with it there is no easy way just keep plugging on with it if its what you really want.

I think a career as an electrician is far less likely to destroy my back and knees in the same way house bashing currently is. I have a reasonable knowledge of electrical work and out of all the trades it interests me the most.
Appreciated most people leave school, pick a trade, go through an apprenticeship and the career develops that way, I never said your 5 year training wasn’t necessary.
I am 30 have kids and a mortgage, going back to an apprentice wage isn’t an option, I am however prepared to put in whatever work is required to achieve the necessary level of competence to go out in the world with Electrician printed on the side of my van.
The company I am primarily working for does house refurbishment on a good scale and the only outsourced work is electrical, there is a mountain of work waiting for me when I am competent and qualified to do so.
So far the only advice has been from Niceic who have suggested I take the 2394 &2395 at the training centre, just looking for some good suggestions people.

Sorry for the double post, just re wrote it as it didnt seem to have uploaded the first time

40 odd years on my back is fine, my knees however tell another tale!

i laughed all those years ago when it was suggested I got a bit of carpet to kneel on

I now carry around my " prayer mat ".... A piece of folded over underlay from AstroTurf taped up around the edges with gaffer tape.

i have knee pads in my Scruffs but I tend to fall off the edge of them. AND I suffer from 'sweaty knee syndrome'

yer,

I have yet to meet a spark over the age of 40 that doesnt have knackered knees,

its not as easy as some folks think it looks,

but,

if your set on it, good luck, and, I , for one, will try help you along, as Im sure most on here will.

....i have a reasonable understanding and have just gone to Niceic's training center in Dunstable and sat the 17th edition 4 day course with the City & Guilds 2382-12 multiple choice exam at the end. 

I bought myself a fluke multi function meter and have gone round doing Eicr's at friends and family's houses and feel quite confident using it and interpreting the results. 

I have read Guidance note 3, Best practice guide on Classification codes and numerous Niceic training books

The guys from the training center suggested i should then sit the 2394 & 2395 courses on offer, sign up to the approved contractor scheme then go out in the world and call my self a sparky ?

Looking for a little thoughts and guidance please people,

Best route, courses to take ?

Well if NICEIC is the route you want to go down.....

Why not just follow the advice you have been given by those at the NIC training centre??

Then see how that goes....??

Approved Contractor or Domestic Installer?

:popcorn

yer,

I have yet to meet a spark over the age of 40 that doesnt have knackered knees,

its not as easy as some folks think it looks,

but,

if your set on it, good luck, and, I , for one, will try help you along, as Im sure most on here will.
Lol. No you won't.

Forget your back ..your knees will be gone well before.

I've no idea what courses you have to take thesedays , as said , follow the NIC advice.   You'd best stick to domestic work if you're going down the short course route .  

Try to get some experience with a sparks also. 

Apparently you can become a sparks after a 5 week course , hence the references to the 5WW . 

Back is already knaffered; and knees soon to follow, methinks. Plus my brain is fried, from all the figures and bumph you need to know.

As was said before, in your position, its going to be a BIG pay cut, I would think.

You WILL get help & advice here; as long as you`re honest with your abilities - its the bull poo-ers that get somewhat short shrift.....

I`d be more tempted to go Dom Inst than A/C - cos you`re not going to want to mess about with commercial or industrial anytime soon - ESPECIALLY if you`re trying to look after your back.