Are RCBO's the way to go?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it’s an existing installation without rcd protection AND you are making changes to ANY circuit then rcd protection is required.

Then it depends on whether the existing fuseboard can be fitted with RCBOs

If you are not making any changes to any circuit. You just wanted to ensure maximum safety for your tenants and were thinking of swapping out MCB's for RCBO's. Would you swap out the MCB's on every circuit. Or would you be selective about the circuits to swap out?

Rcd protection isn't necessarily required for every circuit in a dwelling for example, I could install an immersion heater circuit using an installation method such as clipped direct, buried above 50mm in a wall or in earthed containment in a wall, assuming a TN system and ADS is provided without an rcd then additional rcd protection is not required.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are not making any changes to any circuit. You just wanted to ensure maximum safety for your tenants and were thinking of swapping out MCB's for RCBO's. Would you swap out the MCB's on every circuit. Or would you be selective about the circuits to swap out?

Reading that again closely,

making changes to ANY circuit then rcd protection is required.
Changing MCB to RCBO can be construed as making a change to a circuit. So yes, fit RCBO.

Then it depends on whether the existing fuseboard can be fitted with RCBOs
It's an 11 way  Wylex plastic CU. 10 circuits used, currently has 2 miniature RCBO's for lighting with same footprint as MCB.

hum, now you are confusing me. 

if you are not making changes to circuits than all you can do is offer a client the choices, but remember we are not the electrical police

if this is a rental property other considerations need to be thought through

hum, now you are confusing me. 

if you are not making changes to circuits than all you can do is offer a client the choices, but remember we are not the electrical police

if this is a rental property other considerations need to be thought through
Which other considerations. 

Rcd protection isn't necessarily required for every circuit in a dwelling for example, I could install an immersion heater circuit using an installation method such as clipped direct, buried above 50mm in a wall or in earthed containment in a wall, assuming a TN system and ADS is provided without an rcd then additional rcd protection is not required.

Totally agree, I like putting fridge freezers on non-RCD protected ccts, and see little point in RCDing cookers or immersions, unless the installation method decrees it necessary. LIkewise, when installing Solar I run any new cabling to eliminate any need for RCds. 

It's a standard domestic wiring install - Cabling in the walls and under the floor. Thank-you, for answering my question.

BUT you can't apply the regs retrospectively ...............

Which other considerations. 

think about it

Totally agree, I like putting fridge freezers on non-RCD protected ccts, and see little point in RCDing cookers or immersions, unless the installation method decrees it necessary. LIkewise, when installing Solar I run any new cabling to eliminate any need for RCds. 

Our fridge freezer is on its own MCB ......., as is our solar installation

The OP needs to consider the contents of the above link

The regs are NOT retrospective - how many times?
I know the Regulations are not retrospective but you stated rented properties need other considerations and I am wondering what they are. Not interested in Best Practice Guides.

- Cabling in the walls and under the floor. Thank-you, for answering my question.

Welcome.

One point I've always wondered about is cabling loose in a cavity wall. Regs say 'buried less than 50mm' which to me means plastered over rather than loose in a large hollow wall. Modern build methods now insist that walls are filled with insulation which pushes cables up against the outer surface, so I would consider those to be 'buried'. But a cable in  hollow wall doesn't strike me as 'buried'. 

The advent of cavity walls was to stop the outside skin of brickwork transferring damp to the inside skin, not for the convenience of electricians to run cables in, anything in the cavity could act as a path for water too the inside warm skin and promote mould growth, IMO extremely bad practice to hang a cable inside the cavity.