australia skills test

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanm1122

Reaction score
hi folks this is my first post so i am looking fwd to as many replies as poss. iam currently applying to emigrate to australia and must take a full days skills assessment , this has only just been brought in by the australian govt at the end of last year so is there anyone out there that has done the assessment and can talk me through any of it? ?:|

its a piece of p1ss buddy. but its been in existence for years tbh, only you used to do it when u got there in the first 6months.

cant you just get on the P.O.L.? or even the O.S.L.?

without seeming rude, why do you need the skills test, do you not have enough evidence of experience.?

the more akward bit is the working under licence for a year and doing your H&S exams.

do you know anything about wiring systems outside UK.?

its a new law that the australian govt have brought in since last year. i am fully qualified and have sent all my certificates,after they have seen these and are satisfied, then,and only then can you do the skills assessment. you cannot lodge a visa application unless you have passed the skills assessment. i was wondering if anyone in the forum had gone through the process. in answer to your question , iam not up to speed with the australian regs, are they similar?

>>i am fully qualified and have sent all my certificates,

How much experience post apprenticeship do you have evidence of?

ie, 5years apprenticeship, then how many years?

a lot more logical tbh, no ring finals, all in radials. spider light system usually.

have you done any work outside England? the regs are much of a much to everywhere else. been a couple of years now(5or6) since i was in NZ but you will soon pick it up. then the skills test was more about practical ability, then you had to work for another spark under licence for a year(i think) before you could apply for your own licence.

the H&S is a big thing, but a lot more sensible, more to the point that if you get hurt you have to prove it wasnt your fault, not anyone else having to prove it was, so the onus is on you to work safe all the time, cos you are liable for you.

I cant be certain of some of this as I was/am on the POL for OCEANIA/AUSTRALASIA.

I dont honestly think you will have any major problems, common sense is a real bonus.

good luck with the lifestyle choice, you wont regret it.

Latest posts