Australian Electrics

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's some pictures and observations about the electrical installations I saw on my recent visit to Australia.

First of all, we stayed with my Sister in law, in their 100 year old "Queenslander" wooden house out in the bush. Being an old house, it was an old installation, so saying this is typical of an Australian house is probably a bit like finding an old wylex rewireable here and thinking that is typical of a UK house.

Their supply is overhead with a transformer on a pole. The supply comes into a tin shed. Firstly the meter is in it's own galvanised steel box on the outside of the tin shed:

meter.JPG

This is a "smart meter" installed when they had solar panels installed.  It separately meters imported power and exported power. they only get paid for solar power that's exported, not for all that they generate. So to optimise their solar income, they actively try not to use any electricity in the day, and save all the heavy loads like washing until after the sun has gone down. 

Inside the tin shed is the main consumer unit that feeds submains to the house and other outbuildings as well as a few local circuits

fuse box.JPG

Note the hinged lid with all the fuses and mcb's.  This means whenever you open the thing to do any work, all the wires are flexed. It probably also means it's a right rats nest of wiring inside, but I never got a look in it.

Note the single pole main switch "MS".  As far as I can tell, from the incoming supply the N is strapped to a local earth rod, and they never switch neutral anywhere. I guess it's not too far off our own TNCS system, except we switch the neutral.

Note the RCD is labelled as "Safety Switch"  That's pretty much the universal name for them over there, with people being reminded to test their safety switch regularly. That's probably about the only good idea I think they have, rather than confusing joe public with technical terms like RCD that they don't understand, simply refer to it as a safety switch.

In their house (well outside it on the wall under the verandah) id their house consumer unit of similar vintage and type.

B&B,J fusebox.JPG

Again hinged front so flexed wires when you open it etc.

A lot of surface wiring with a variant of flat t&e. I never got to strip any, but it seems very flexible, so I guess it must be multistrand. That would make sense with the hinged CU door and constant flexing.

It's normal to have your hot water tank outside. Okay I guess as there's no risk of freezing so why waste space inside your house.

B&B,J property (15).JPG

Tumble dryer also outside in this instance, though everywhere else we visited it was in the bathroom.

Now on the subject of bathrooms, mains sockets in the bathroom and light switches on the wall inside the bathroom are normal. And it's normal to have your washing machine in the bathroom.  Plumbing seems a bit primative as every install we saw, the washing machine drain hose just hangs over the edge of the sink, rather than being connected to a trap or standpipe.  I seem to have lost the picture of their bathroom showing this.

So now a little discussion about how they do things.  Well rather simply is the quick answer.

In all the installs I saw, the only electrical accessories I saw were 1, 2 and 3 gang light switches, 1 and 2 gang mains sockets and tv aerial sockets.  All the same size rectangular plates a bit smaller than our own rectangular 2G accessories.  That made 1G mains sockets seem a little pointless if they are the same size as a 2G one?   I also saw a combined 2G mains socket and light switch which was a rather odd idea.

So there are no isolator switches for cookers, or for sockets under worktops. No FCU's of any description and no flex outlet plates.

This leads to sockets for "built in" kitchen appliances being in clumsy (not hidden) places etc. And things where you would expect the wiring to be hidden like cooker hoods, just have a flex from it plugging into a socket.  Even in a public place, I saw hot air hand dryers hanging on a wall with a flex just hanging down and plugged into a socket on the wall.

All rather crude and basic I thought, and it reminded me of a 15th edition install here or earlier.

Now virtually all supplies seem to be overhead. Even in built up areas. So the average street scene in a town has this sort of mess running down most streets:

harbourside resort.JPG

Next we had a couple of days away on the Gold coast staying in a rented apartment. This was a much more modern building so perhaps this is more representative of a "modern" installation over there?

First the consumer unit:

harbourside resort (14).JPG

Well at least it's all MCB's and rcbo's and a more usual removeable front to the CU.  Note the single pole main switch.  I also notice Hager stuff is extremely common over there.

This time I did get a picture of the bathroom.

View attachment 4174

Note the mains sockets right next to the shower cubicle.

and the washing machine and dryer:

View attachment 4175

Note the complete lack of any attempt to hide or tidy up the hanging mains leads, and the upside down hung tumble dryer, vented to the room.

On the subject of venting, I did not see any bathroom with an extraction fan. Even in this hot climate where open windows are normal, peeling paint on the ceiling was common, not helped of course if venting the damp air from a tumble dryer to the room is considered normal practice.

We then had another excursion, this time staying in a hotel room.

So the CU in that room: 

Fraser Island (31).JPG

Sorry it's a poor picture. note the lack of main switch, and the use of Hager gear again.

and here's the bathroom.

View attachment 4177

Note the nice hoteliers have provided a hair dryer for the use of their guests, with a flex long enough to reach round and use in the shower should you be so daft.

So that's it for the pictures, just a few final ramblings.

Firstly I never did determine how their power circuits were wired, ring or radial. But it seemed normal to use 25A (often type C) MCB's for power circuits and more than one socket per MCB so I guess it's radial circuits.

But their mains sockets are rated at 10A, and have no fuse in the plugs. So how do you square having appliances, often with thin flex's, plugged into a 10A rated socket, with an OCPD of 25A?

The lack of fuses in general and FCU's etc creates very "basic" installations, no local isolation for built in appliances etc.

Sockets and switches in bathrooms is so alien to us, but then so is having your washing machine there.  When I discussed this with our host, his reply was "if you are stupid enough to stand under the shower while using your hair dryer, you deserve to die"

Having seen how they do things down under, I will never again criticize the way we do things here in the UK.

By comparison we are generations ahead in terms of flexibility of the range of kit we have available to install, and the regulations we install it to.

Perhaps just another example that the UK is a nanny state where we are forced to be safe, and not allowed to choose when and where to take risks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah  Your last sentence has pre - empted my reply .   BTW  thanks for all the pics .

Nanny state , yes we are , but thats a result of breeding a percentage of population  who are basically stupid.    

Also prompts the question , are our Regs OTT .   Comments please .  ( I always fit grommets in KO boxes yet have only ever found one case of a cable shorted down to the box)  

Why is a domestic kitchen a Special Location I ask ?    No wet, naked people switching light switches on & off etc.   No bath with 30 gallons of water in  it .

Big danger in a kitchen is boiling water , hot hobs & sharp knives I'd have thought .

Special Locations reduced to bathrooms & outdoors  anyone ??

I'd say no Badge , I think the Regs still quote   "  ...a room containing a fixed bath or shower " 

Thats 58 gallons  you wouldn't want pouring through the ceiling .

The difference is, if someone in Australia kills themselves by using a hair dryer in the shower, they say it serves them right for being so stupid.  Here if that happened, the electrician that fitted the socket close enough to allow that to happen would end up in prison.

Definitely a case of make something idiot proof, and we will find a better idiot.

And definitely a case of how we are a nanny state. 

I'm all for am electrician being prosecuted if he does something wrong that makes what should be a safe item dangerous (e.g an exposed live conductor) but not for "allowing" someone to do something blatantly stupid.

But what I find so strange, is just about every other aspect of Australian society is much more regulated than here in the UK.  So this lax attitude to electrics just does not fit with the rest of Australian culture.

P.S although you have to be qualified and registered to do electrical work over there, it does NOT stop DIY Bruce from doing his own stuff. By BIL openly admits he wired his extension and has done various alterations, but will swear blind it's just as he bought the house should the brown stuff hit the air moving device.

Well I have to say that I'm rather surprised that it is so lax, with them having such a strict entry criteria into the trade and all that.

It'd be interesting to see the stats on number of deaths caused by electrics, perhaps the bare minimum is enough to keep everyone on their toes so too speak whereas here it is too safe that people are ignorant to the dangers?

Great pics and posts Dave, good to ave ya back sport.

Interesting. I thought you had to jump through hoops and sit an e xam before you could become an Aussie spark!

so basically,   English spark goes to Aus.  Smacks his head against a brick wall until most of his brain cells are destroyed, then he is an Aussie spark!
That's about it.  Throw away half of what you know as good practice and just get on with very basic electrics.

At least you won't need to carry so much kit in your van.

heres the fish tank in question just so you can all see it and yes it has an rcbo protecting the setup ;)
Badger, are those the remains of none paying customers in the bottom of your fishtank?

:innocent

I met a lady yesterday, and all i can say is i bet the bottom of your fishtank smelled nicer :(

my fish tank smells very nice its kept very clean
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

Very informative post Dave. Having lived and worked as a spark in NZ, I know that Aus/NZ wiring systems and regs are the same. Distribution syystem is a type of TT but eart and N are connected together in the CU and nothing is double pole switched. the N remains connected throughout. The boxes are all the same size and installed either vertically or horizontal. Most boxes and accessories are modular, ie you can have a light switch, fan switch and a 45A cooker switch in the same plate if you so wish. Sockets are all wired in radials of 10 or 20A and as you say sockets rated at 10A with no fuses but circuits can be up to 20A. No FCU exists but a 2 hole module with a switch and a cord outlet are usually used and known as PCU (permanent connection unit)

You mention T&E - they call it TPS and the difference is that the earth core is sheathed and is the same size as line (active) conductors.

Outside you will see 11KV cables above 400V cables on the same poles!

Light switches are looped and switched feed wire feeds light fittings,

Electricians have to be registered and licenced and even well qualified british sparks have to jump through hoops to get that status. I have a list of C&G and BTEC as well as 4 year apprenticeship yet I had to do a stage 3 practical examination which took up 2 whole days and had to do a regs course and exam which took a week.

Nice one Revo .   Do they , say at a socket , connect the N & E terminals together ,

I've done a few jobs like that in the UK but they need permission from the Home Office  as I remember.    The TN-C continues throughout the consumer's installation .   One job was done with 1 core Pyro  for the single phase stuff.

Thanks Rev, scoob given.

If N and E remain together, what's the point of 3 core cable and 3 pole sockets?

One odd one I saw was a double socket with a third switch that was switching a light. Would that have been from the same circuit as the socket I wonder (I guess that's down to the installer)

Reading this gives me an idea!

Now Oz originally had all the convicts, now what's the chance of palming the 5ww off over there, at least there'll be no worries bout the lectrics?!

The only place N and E are bonded is at the CU. Another wierd thing they do (and you can see it happening here with smart meters) is remotely shut off everyones hot water cylinders when they get short of power. Generally I would say its a lot slacker over there but what are the statistics? do more people die from electric shocks per capita than a country like ours where common sense is not allowed. It would be an interesting comparison.

Reading this gives me an idea!

Now Oz originally had all the convicts, now what's the chance of palming the 5ww off over there, at least there'll be no worries bout the lectrics?!

I am just chartering the plane on-line at the moment...

Deke is booking a whole fleet of taxis...

Mr Singh & Mr Patel's 24hr Cabs (including airport collections) Will give us approx 60 vehicles!!

So..  If you can round them up...

Give Deke the postcodes.. 

he will send a Taxi to collect them and bring them back to the plane ready for departure on Wed 30th Oct

Take off at 22:30 (pending a whip round for aviation fuel)!!!!!

Simples!!

Guinness   Guinness

Nice post Dave..

& welcome back!!

Guinness