AUTO Electrician Question. (L.E.S)?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshwizard

Honorary Life Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I have been up my Brother-In-Laws garage, where he is restoring a David Brown 996 Tractor.

He was trying to sort out the Indictators, but was coming across problems. I have drawn a rough sketch of the wiring on it at present. (I can obtain pictures if you prefer - What it was like before too).

At the bottom of the pic below is a description of the problems.

There were Hazard lights on it before, but as the pull out switch has gone u/s (soldered joints) he has decided to do away with them and just have indicators. (will be better if I contact him actually and have him to email me some pics of it).

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

I personally think it has something to do with the terminal block wiring. It appears to be getting a perminent feed Before the Flasher unit?

What do you auto Sparks think? L.ES. :D

DAVIDBROWN996TRACT0262.jpg

Can see problem m8. stand by...........

IF the flasher unit uses a perm. +V (which it may do).....

Then the other two connections are flash in / out. (common).

From your diag, one flasher is connected to the flasher unit on one of the turn switch wires; which will be +V. As soon as that side indicator is connected - irrespective of what the flasher unit wants to do - that flasher will be held at +V by nature of it being across the switch.

Stand by again - re reading your post. AS1

Whichever way you move the switch, the relevant indicator "locks on". `cos you`re giving it a +V supply via the switch arm. The flasher unit is working constantly - suggesting that the wire atteched to the left flasher is flasher output. Disconnect that wire from the arm direction switch. The flasher can go to "common" on the arm, and the left / right indicators to either side of the arm. The one marked E may, in fact, be an extra switch terminal, providing +V WHICHEVER way the switch is moved. If so, that need to go to the V+ terminal of the flasher unit.

Needs multimeter to confirm, but that, quintessentially, is the issue. :)

Hiya pal sorry only just come on and it looks like your sorted, however if its any help using a 3 pin flasher, if thats what it is, pin 31 should be earth, pin 49 should be a live feed in, pin 49a is the feed from the flasher which should then go to the common on the indicator switch. If still having probs i will try and get a diagram on there for you.

Hi L.E.S,

Thanks for the input - he has various Flasher units, some numbered (49a etc) and others are just letters.

In Fact the three pin Flasher unit that he has on there now, is a Lettered flasher. I believe it was L, B & R (Or letters to that effect).

Thanks,

Welshy.

Heres a diagram if its any help, not a very good one but its a start, apologies if theres already one to this effect

flasherunit.jpg

Sorry L,B,R doesnt ring any bells but if you experiment with a 55/60w headlight bulb, put one terminal to earth, one to live and one to the bulb (earthing the other side of the bulb) then you should be able to get it right.

I didn't think the indicators worked on tractors anway. or break lights. or, sometimes, breaks.

I worked on a dairy farm and out of the 5 tractors there wouldn't have been a working indicator amongst them. Occasionally the break lights would flash for good measure................ :^O :D ;)

Morning Guys,

I printed out your diagram and took it up there Last Night.

He did it, but when he activated the indicators, althought they worked great, the live was travelling up the earth.

He put his tester on the bodywork, and it was lighting up everytime the indicator flashed. So he diconnected the earth, temporarily, and it worked. He will look into the earth fault Today.

He said to Thank You Les, He is very grateful for your help.

Thanks from me too.

Thanks also to Kme. And medication to Slips.

Sorry for no diag mate. I frew one yesterday; but the scanner dept. of mu MFU won`t send the scan to the pc!

Am attempting resolution of the problem. Meanwhile, it appears you have resolution of yours :) :) :)

Currently giving the MFC a local anaesthetic, prior to operating. Blot my brow, mrs. KME; I`m going in. Don`t know if the patient will survive the procedure! :(