Automatic switching unit wiring query

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CupofCoffee

Reaction score
I recently purchased an "HTronic MPC1000" automatic switching unit to carry out the job of switching between 230V mains or inverter. The unit has decent enough reviews online but I've heard nothing from the manufacturer concerning a wiring issue I'm having and was wondering if anybody here might be able to shed some light?

The inverter I'm using is a Sterling Power SIB121600 which is in normal form, a neutral bonded earth unit (can apparently be adjusted to centre tapped earth) with the 230V output via a 3-pin AC socket.

www.h-tronic.de/en/shop/mpc-1000-switching-station/

This is the switching unit; within are live and neutral terminals for the 230V mains input, the inverter's input, and the output. There is also a collective earth terminal.

Reading the supplied manual for the switching unit, it states:

"Only galvanically isolated inverters may be used. Make sure that the neutral conductor is not connected with the ground conductor."

As the inverter I've got is neutral bonded earth, I presumed this meant I would not be able to use the earth from the inverter's 3-pin output where I'll be taking the live and neutral.

Looking at the MPC1000's wiring schematic in the supplied manual, it seems as though the earth for the inverter is taken as a spur from what looks like the inverter battery's negative terminal? It also seems to run past the inverter's own earth point?

I'd be grateful for any assistance.

Whats-App-Image-2019-08-18-at-21-33-29.jpg

That's the inverter I've got, trying to marry it to this switching unit:

https://www.h-tronic.de/en/shop/mpc-1000-switching-station/

http://www.h-tronic.com/Presse/download/Anleitung_MPC1000_1114530.pdf

Was under the assumption (rightly or wrongly) "Make sure that the neutral conductor is not connected with the ground conductor" meant that the switch wasn't compatible with neutral bonded earth?

Looking at the wiring diagram, it's suggestive the earth is being taken directly from the negative terminal of the battery?? Does this seem right?