awkward cu

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
have a cu to change tomorrow as part of kitchen refurb', old cu is a wylex with 7ways and presently sits above meter cupboard on a pillar between a window and front door, pillar is only 300mm wide

noway can a 17th split loader fit the space and besides spending a fortune on a cu with 7 rcbo's i was thinking of extending the ringmain and cooker circuits to a new rcd controlled cu inside meter cupboard

does anyone have any other idea's??????

i'm tempted to leave it alone and install a 80A 30ma rcd before wylex, i know its not as per 17th regs but...... ?:|

have a cu to change tomorrow as part of kitchen refurb', old cu is a wylex with 7ways and presently sits above meter cupboard on a pillar between a window and front door, pillar is only 300mm widenoway can a 17th split loader fit the space and besides spending a fortune on a cu with 7 rcbo's i was thinking of extending the ringmain and cooker circuits to a new rcd controlled cu inside meter cupboard

does anyone have any other idea's??????

i'm tempted to leave it alone and install a 80A 30ma rcd before wylex, i know its not as per 17th regs but...... ?:|
any chance of a piccy :)

Ahh well. It could have worked. You pretty much exhusted options though mate. Fit small board with rcbos or move tofit bigger board. Sometimes they just dont want to be changed. the houses that dont want tu be rewired are even worse. nogins/walls all over. bleh

I would not put consumer unit meter cupboard should be for boards equipment only. An MK 12 way consumer unit is 300mm wide so would be an ideal fit. I have started to fit consumer units with just Rcbo's on smaller installs. Less chance of getting call backs due to nuisance tripping and 7 Rcbo's won't break the bank. Point out to customer advantages of using Rcbo's they surely would agree.

Batty

I have one with a similar problem, but 250mm wide and 700mm high space.. What I am going to do is stack (with a link kit) an isolator CU and a RCD CU (4 ways each) and put RCBO's in the ISO board..