Awkward socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike spark

Reaction score
Evening all, i got called to a job where the phase wires had pulled out of a couple of sockets, the phase wires have pulled because they are so short and now they are to short.The ring is run in 4mm twin and earth, the cables runs into the top of the back box and then run out the bottom of the back box, so i can lift or drop the back box to get the extra length on the phase wires.

So as far as i can see my options are, to either use terminal blocks or crimps to add the extra length. I have never come across this before (under these circumstances so any advice from you guys would be great.

Also when adding the extra length what do you reckon to using 2.5mm instead of 4mm due to how much easier it is to terminate?

I would use terminal blocks in the back of the box and add a single 4mm to the face plate

NO id keep it the same size condutor throughout!
I would agree if continuing both "in" and "out" conductors onto the back of the socket...

But if make the socket faceplate into a short spur off joint in back of box..

i.e. 4mm in & 4mm out & 2.5mm to faceplate it won't be a problem even if a double socket,

as it would generally be considered to have max 2 x 13amp loads connected.

26amp.. all ok on a short length of 2.5mm (with no thermal insulation etc.. etc..)

continuing with 4.0mm would obviously be err'ing on the side of caution..

but just make it more of a sod to connect! ;) :)

NO id keep it the same size condutor throughout!
I concur. It hasn't been mentioned that this is a domestic property so could be commercial/industrial.

All of our rings at work are run in 4mm because of Licensing Regulations which superceed the Electrical regs. Use what is there already.

I concur. It hasn't been mentioned that this is a domestic property so could be commercial/industrial.All of our rings at work are run in 4mm because of Licensing Regulations which superceed the Electrical regs. Use what is there already.
Ah! thats very true!.... :eek:

If non domestic I would concur keep 4.0mm! :)

Bit like a C&G exam question...

Read details fully... DON'T assume! :eek: :|

I shall slap my own wrist and sit on the naughty step for 30mins! :( :_|

;)

Ah! thats very true!.... :eek: If non domestic I would concur keep 4.0mm! :)

Bit like a C&G exam question...

Read details fully... DON'T assume! :eek: :|

I shall slap my own wrist and sit on the naughty step for 30mins! :( :_|

;)
Well.... After a months holiday in the uber-trailer I can't blame you if you come back a bit fuzzy! :^O ;)

I`d be crimping in 4mm, if it were me.

?Pardon my friend Specloc - too many nights in his trailer-tent, listening to the steady pitter-patter pitter patter on the canvas, all night, has sent him a bit (more) doolally:) :) :)

Sorry guys i have been so busy since i posted i havent had a chance to post again:_|(can you hear the violins).

Thanks everyine for your suggestions, i should have said it was domestic, you know you kind of forget when explaiing to others that they havent seen the job.

Ok so i went with termnal blocks and 4mm twin and earth to make a short spur as suggested by special location, the main reason i went that route was because i already had the terminak blocks and 4mm in the van. Made the the job take 5 mins, instead of struggling with it for ages trying to terminate mission impossible.