B&Q Trade point,,,,whats the point ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
three ids or something to show you are in the 'trade' , think i had two clipped to my trousers and my uniform was another.

when they first started opening I just happened to be in the Warrington branch the day they were setting it up and I got mine opened with a business card and an IPAF licence, I didnt have anything else on me at the time :)

I wish they had a website like screwfix, example, B&Q/tradepoint is about 1 mile from my house, great, screwfix about 3 miles away, i want a few items, so B&Q might have the items, have a look on the screwfix website and they've got all the items in stock at the branch near me, same sort of prices, so i go to screwfix because i know the items are there. I asked at tradepoint if they're going to get a website, they said no.

... :) also mdf 18mm not too bad price and they cut it for you. Dunno how they get away with cutting mdf indoors plus their extraction isn't that good either... :)
m4tty,

This will be with their "wall saw" AKA "vertical panel saw" then?

I did some "approximate" extraction calcs a few weeks ago for a similar client, they complained that their LEV was inadequate.

To obtain capture velocities in line with HSE guidance throughout the cut, the in duct air speed would be approximately MACH1!

Yes I DO mean the speed of sound.

Oh, and yes I do realise this changes with air density, altitude, temperature etc.

As a result, they decided to put up with their "poor" LEV.

You "may" find that it is actually sufficient to meet the requirements of COSHH regulations even though it appears "poor".

Also there is a lot of I can't say misinformation, but, not all, MDF in the UK has a health issue, in fact most does not, especially new.

The biggest issue is the volume of respirable dust.

Old MDF may have been a different ball game, somewhere on my HDD I have an official HSE document, about current MDF dust, which is not as bad as it is rumoured to be.

No wood dust of any type is harmless, hard wood dust is worse than soft, however it is all an asthmagen.

There are different exposure limits for different woods also, and MDF is listed in the HSE docs, EH40 IIRC with many others.

You may find that even with the "poor" LEV the operators are below the exposure limits due to the other tasks that they have during the day.

HTH.

(Believe it or not I am a BOHS qualified LEV designer & examiner too, the 2 courses are those advised & endorsed by HSE)

Has anybody considered asking an OAP to buy the stuff for you ? as they get a discount. :)
Yes i got my old lady(mum) to pay for 10 bags of sand and cement and a pile of bricks, she was knackered by the time she put them all in my van.
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

It's all a sham. The last 4 trips to B&Q I have made have resulted in zero discount. Asked the bloke serving and suggested it was rubbish and he said it only applies to certain items only in the catalogue. Strikes me they don't even know what it's all about.

I only signed up so I don't need to line up with all the people buying carp and waitin 45 mins because they decided they have picked up the wrong thing and need to change it, at the trade points your in and out quick no hassle I'm not even bothered about discount as don't think I've every bought any thing for a job in there apart from the odd bit like a chisel or Stanley blades etc

I went in today, right next to a simple job, picked up a 1way pull cord for 2.48, no discount. Bit miffed!

Went to the van found the trade catalogue and a 2way pull cord was 1.24, same brand. Madness, couldn't really go in and argue as it wasn't the same part, plus I don't have the time to waste.