Barn/workshop And Earthing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Les, I came from a similar background to yourself, and having retrained, it isn't so much that you can't work out many aspects of the install yourself, it's more the actual good installation techniques and stuff like terminating SWA that you wouldn't know even with hours of research.

If you are moving the meter (can't do that yourself) then there is a high chance you will be asked for EIC (electrical installation cert) before they will re-connect the metering, for that a registered eelctrican will help a lot! Testing the work is essential to ensure it's safe - even we make mistakes and forget to tighten terminal scews sometimes. I would recommend you work in conjunction with an electrican from day 1, so you can hammer out the design and installation methods, do the bulk of the work yourself, but still have an electrician who is prepared to sign it off. Earthing wise, overhead poles can vary a lot and be somewhat unreliable, I think I would install TT system for reliability going forward.

It's only when insurance companies get involved eg after a fire, that the proverbal hits the fan

I would have thought many of the wiring techniques carry over from the work I do on machinery. I don't know if it is the correct way but I was taught to terminate SWA like this:

Slide boot + back nut over the wire (this is the bit I usually forget to do until later!)

Work out where you need to cut the armour and saw around the cable until you are about half way through the armour wires. Strip outer sleeve and snap off the wires. Expand the wires by wiggling the inner and fit body of the gland, trying to keep the wires as even as possible. Tighten nut and fit boot. Use a banjo washer to connect CPC.

I just did some checking and as far as I can tell I could quite legally fill in an EIC, as long as the installation has been done in accordance BS7671.

I would recommend you work in conjunction with an electrican from day 1, so you can hammer out the design and installation methods, do the bulk of the work yourself, but still have an electrician who is prepared to sign it off.
Yes, that is probably the best plan.

Earthing wise, overhead poles can vary a lot and be somewhat unreliable, I think I would install TT system for reliability going forward.
Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

The barn supply is underground from the tranformer pole. Supply to the other properties is two separate wires, not ABC. That manual was quite interesting. I noticed that for PME each pole should have an earth spike. I just checked and this is the case with my installation.

Sidewinder, my DNO is Western Power as you thought.

Not every pole will always have an earth rod, your Tx will probably have two unless it is a hot site, but doubtful for a WPD pole mount AFAIK.

The UKPN manual only applies to UKPN areas, WPD will have their own, which may well be different, each DNO has their own rules.

So, you can't base decisions on WPD stuff on UKPN rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shared HV & LV earthing
i was thinking something along the lines of this

WE12.jpg

coming to a house near you shortly... thats if youre Jamals neighbour

Last edited by a moderator:
alright enough of the snidey remarks, I think jamal is now well aware we think he's possibly making a mistake in the opinions of ,many of this forum. As my granny used to say. 'if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all'.

alright enough of the snidey remarks, I think jamal is now well aware we think he's possibly making a mistake in the opinions of ,many of this forum. As my granny used to say. 'if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all'.

Jamal?? Wasn't he on about a 40A socket??