Basic Qualifications for Electrician ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could someone who is conversant with such things , enlighten me on today's basic qualifications  for an electrician .?

This is for an 18 yr old , already done some  ( not sure which)  .  Is it  the AM2   whatever that is   and then NVQ whatever that is , then 17 th edition ?  He now has to pay for the courses so it would be good if its the correct ones. 

Crackle ...crackle...  bzzzzzz.... can you hear me Major Tom ? .....Bzzzz....wooozzzze  ... Thank.....crlllll bzzzz ....you  ......planet Earth is bluezzzzzzzz bsss ......  

Thats my problem too ,  no idea what they all mean  TBH,   back in the day it was G&Gs ( A)   as the basic Electrician grade qualification .

C&Gs B was the Approved Elec

C&Gs  C  was the Technicians Grade.

Then on to  ONC ...HNC   etc  

no idea what the numbers are these days. seem to change just as often as the regs do

could almost see a conspiracy in that.

I tried life without 17th and nobody wanted to know even though it's a multiple choice, open book

online exam in which I scored over 90% and was done in about 20mins.

IMO:

17th

2365 (2330)?

I&T

AM2 

at the least.

What is AM2?
Achievement measurement test 2

stand in a cubicle and wire it as they have been practising for months

move on to,testing cubicle....varying faults are switched in by the examainer

well that's what it used to be

saw a rig at local college years ago....pyro with plastic knock in clips. Queried it and was told pyro,clips were too expensive😢

To get the gold card with jib an apprentice will start with the nvq2365 completing levels 2&3, he/she would then be put in for his/her am2 (independently assessed), to which they'd need to pass both the Nvq and am2 to get electrician status. Not sure if they would have a need to do the 17th as it used to be that as you were trained to the current regs then it wasn't a requirement to do that reg exam until either a change/amendment of regs or if an employer specifically requested.

Although given current training climate a 17th exam may be thrown in for good measure. Further development would be 2394, 2395 2396 then hnc/d etc. 

Of course as always I stand to be corrected by those of greater knowledge where required. :)  

Am2 consists of wiring 8 different circuits using different cable type and install methods (containment already done for you) testing of said circuits, also tested in safe isolation, regs inc building regs which are relevant, complete a set of RAMS and fault finding of 7 faults, all for a sum of £6-700 and three days of your life.