Bathroom Electrical Work

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Noc

Reaction score
A family member is having some upgrades to his bathroom in his new home - new bath and mixer shower, plasterboard, tiling etc. However this has unearthed a few electrical problems. In the past someone has removed a shaver socket or light fitting on the wall, chocblocked the ends and wrapped them with tape and dropped them behind the plasterboard (the neutral had actually fallen out of the chocblock too!). There is an old power shower cord switch in the ceiling, and in the loft an old extraction fan which has been pushed above the ceiling and the hole filled in, not working but still has a live feed from the ceiling rose, which has a bare bulb in it and is in zone 1.

I'm not an electrician but an electro mechanical service engineer. I'm happy to help him put all this right but as this is a bathroom am I legally allowed to do the following work: The power shower switch is dead - disconnected at the main fusebox, so I would like to remove it and terminate the ends in the loft space. It isn't practical to remove all the wiring as it goes under the boards in the loft and there is loads of stuff on the boards. I would like to disconnect the fan and shaver socket/light fitting wiring from the ceiling rose, remove all the redundant wiring and fit a suitable zone 1 light fitting.

If you are in England I think you would be contravening part P planning regulations. How significant you consider that, I leave to your judgement.
Thanks for the reply Geoff, and yes this is in England. Is that for all of the work, or parts of it? I've always assumed (maybe wrongly?) that I am permitted to replace a light fitting in a bathroom.

If you are in England I think you would be contravening part P planning regulations. How significant you consider that, I leave to your judgement.

changed in england a while back, only now applies to work in the zones, not the entire room

but if its disconnecting stuff, then its not really installation work within the room regardless, and changing a light fitting is maintenance anyway

How high is the ceiling? Is it really zone1?
Just checked it and no it isn't - ceiling height is 2.35m. Assumed it was as I could easily touch the rose from standing in the bath and I'm only 5ft 8" but having measured the height it is outside the zone. Thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts