Bathroom Extract fan problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anne23

Reaction score
HI All.

The extract fan in my bathroom has stopped working. 

its a vent-axia lo-carbon SELV that is ceiling mounted. there are some switches on the wall (isolator?) the larger box (im not sure what this does) has a blue light which is on permanently. there is a loud quite high pitch loud when the unit is on... this is a recent development since the fan has stopped working.

the fan is about 5 years old and is quite dusty and was loud before dieing completely.

Im curious to know which item has the issue and what i need to do to get things working again so i can enjoy a nice bath! 

any help would be gratefully recieved!! 

well at a guess poor maintenance and excessive dust buildup has stalled it and / or caused bearings to fail and now potentially overloading SELV supply and risk burning that out too

Well the large box is the transformer, converting mains voltage to the bathroom safe low voltage. Any diagnostics without being there is essentially guesswork but my money would be on the fan unit having mechanical problems, probably seized or worn bearings.  It could be worth giving it a good clean and making sure it rotates freely before binning it.

Switch off before taking it down. Whilst it is a safe low voltage if you should short the wires you may kill an otherwise serviceable transformer. 

As Andy suggests, it sounds like the fan could have suffered due to poor maintenance... 

As far as I am aware all extractor fan manufactures recommend routine cleaning of the fan blades..

(The front cover can be removed and with the power off any accumulation of dust can be removed from the blades).

A combination of dust and moist air from a shower or bath steam can create a significant build up of mess that can stick to, and unbalance the fan blades..

This can then increase wear on the bearings..

causing possible sticking or complete jamming.

The fact you are hearing a noise would suggest that power is getting to the motor..

But as you say it has probably died and is in need of replacement.. 

If you are not competent enough yourself to open it up and check it over,

you will need to get someone in to have a look at it to confirm if there is any chance of resuscitation.

:coffee

I'd also suspect failed bearings or some other mechanical issue. I'd be surprised though if a seized fan would damage the transformer as its an entirely foreseeable event that the circuitry should be proof against . . . given good design!