Bathroom fitters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a call from an anxious client who was worried about some electrics her builder had done converting a toilet into a wet room with toilet, shower & sink. The two guys, both white English men in their mid 40s came highly recomended by many neighbours they had worked for doing the similar job.

First thing i saw was this, how many mistakes can you spot

2011-08-19094848-1.jpg

Then noticed the light switch, it wasn't screwed back because of the conduit in the box

2011-08-19100821.jpg

Then had a look in the loft

2011-08-19113838.jpg

2011-08-19115843.jpg

All the connections pulled out without the use of any tools

2011-08-19144900.jpg

They fitted a socket for a shower pump, wired in 1.0mm and why drill the rafter

2011-08-19113309.jpg

They fitted a false ceiling (no need & the customer never asked for it, they managed to drill through every single support for the downlights. I commented at least they had used a quality light and she replied ' i bought those'

2011-08-19115828.jpg

2011-08-19115916.jpg

This was the backbox for the spur for UFH
2011-08-19100801.jpg

The pick up for the lighting circuit, no clips and why bring down 2 cables with the same connections

2011-08-19113357.jpg

I traced the supply for the power circuits to a socket (off the upstairs ring circuit) in the airing cupboard for an immersion. The 2.5tw&e fed 4 outlets, the towel rail, underfloor heating, shower pump & wall light. Why connect the wall light to the ring when there was a lighting circuit nearer ? This is the supply nicely wrapped round the heating pipes

2011-08-19094827.jpg

The builders got a mate round (to connect the towel rail & probably to sign it off) and the client overheard hm saying he wasnt going to touch it . The fusebox was all rewirables and no Rcd's. The main bond to gas and water was found cut off next to the gas meter, A plumber had changed a pipe a few years ago due to a leak. As well as all this they had only fitted a 16mm deep box for the underfloor heating control and linked it to a supply with a 3c 1.5 so i had to chase the wall out. All the remedials took 2 days and i have to return to do a consumer unit change next week

Is this really true slipshod or have you made it up? Truly unbelievable!!!

Also incorrect polarity on light connections photo 5

All true. Sorry for the bad pics, it was hot & itchy in the loft and pics taken on my phone. The socket in the airing cupboard had been left hanging loose. The towel rail is in (my opinion) zone 1 of the wetroom, possibly Z2. What you cant see is the Trv is sticking outwards over the corner 'spacesaver' toilet & you bang your head on it when sitting on the loo.

Getting it through to the customer that they've been shafted always seems the trickiest task in these cases.

Love the FCU behind the towel rail. Can't get over that one:slap

And why would the customer tolerate the flex from the heating element draping down, winding in and out of the rail?

Surely even if they don't understand wiring, they would tell the bloke who did it, that it just looks carp?

And why would the customer tolerate the flex from the heating element draping down, winding in and out of the rail?Surely even if they don't understand wiring, they would tell the bloke who did it, that it just looks carp?
I thought that...but if you look towards bottom of pic it looks like the sheath is removed waiting for the flex to be terminated. Could be wrong though............ :coat

And why would the customer tolerate the flex from the heating element draping down, winding in and out of the rail?Surely even if they don't understand wiring, they would tell the bloke who did it, that it just looks carp?
Quote,

The builders got a mate round (to connect the towel rail & probably to sign it off) and the client overheard hm saying he wasnt going to touch it

Latest posts