Bathroom Heater

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayBlueSky

Reaction score
Hello to Everyone on the Forum, this may be a simple question if you know the answer... But i need a little help with this one :) 

i know the 18th Edition is upon us.. but i am 17th graded and still not sure!,

this is for my own home! but if were for a clients property the answer may well have been firm NO WAY as a safety gut reaction

The question is can i fit a plinth heater under the raised resin coated shower tray in the bathroom?...

the riser kit has a PVC plinth board and i can fit screw only access to underneath, the floor will be basic vinyl flooring and not a wet room so i can't imagine anyone using the shower head to rinse the outside of the shower cubical down.

the heater i plan to use is a class 2 DI unit with a Bluetooth Remote,

The power to the heater and final connection will be underneath the shower plinth using an IP66 fused spur

i have pontificated this one and spent many a T'internet search and still cant make my mind up as to right or my basic Gut instinct or Wrong

Cheers for any help and guidance

Ray

Hmm....

interesting concept...

Is a heater below a shower tray different to pumps & gubbins for a jacuzzi bath, fitted below a bath...?????

Still thinking...  but I have had a few Friday    Guinness Guinness Guinness Guinness

ignoring the electrical bits...

I think I would be more concerned having a shower tray mounted high enough off floor level to allow a heater to fit underneath it!

From past experience to keep a shower tray water tight to the walls you need to minimise any possible movement between the base and the wall...

To be able to have space to fit a heater beneath a shower tray..

(a) its going to be a big step to get in..  and

(b) you are going to have difficulty reducing movement to a minimum when someone is using the shower..

and over time cracks and leaks will probably appear around the tray edges..

p.s.

welcome to the forum by the way...

we are Covid-Safe as no one posts within 2m of each other...  and we all wear full face masks..  rubber gloves...   latex aprons...  high heels...   

and always wash our hands before and after posting!!

:popcorn      

Many Thanks for the reply Trailer Boy - Electrician 👍 you nailed it as there is no difference between Jacuzzi Pumps and a Plinth Heater in the safe zone.

The reason why the shower plinth is raised is because its a bungalow...

The bath/shower drain pipe exits the building at floor level and the only way to have a enough drainage fall from the bath and the shower is to elevate the stone/resin coated shower tray plinth up to 100 mm using a Shower Riser kit using jack-up legs from screwfix and it was only then i thought of putting a plinth heater below the shower tray 🤔

i have checked with full on water shower head to wall and tray to ensure there is no water leaks behind/side of the tray, the tray is well attached to the brick/plaster wall with silicon sealant.

I will report back on my progress but i have to say if any DIY person searches this thread please consult a fully qualified electrical engineer/plumber for help! even i as an electrician of 45 years needed to ask the question!

Cheers R.

So true Murdoch, I am putting the ip66 switched spur purely for local isolation if I need to work on it, I will have another D. P switch outside the bathroom for functional switching on/off

Don't even tempt me to call the NICEIC... MmmUuuHhhaHaa

I don't know what came over me for a moment there... 

Probably Far too many years as the QM 🤨

Many Thanks for input, it's put my mind easy

I will try to dip in and out to try and help too

Murdoch, the ip66 switched spur will be fused 🙂 and 

fed from a 16A rcd protected breaker

it's now on my to do list now the general concensus is it's ok(ish) but still open to options and or advice.

The easy option would be a high level wall mounted fan heater, that's the last option on the list 🙄