Bathroom Light Replacement Advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzydice

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for advice for replacing my bathroom 2D 4 pin fluorescent dome light for a new LED unit. When I removed the old light unit there are lots of wires - I am unsure which live neutral and earth to use in the new LED light unit and what to do with the spare / unused wires. I have attached some pictures of the currently installed 2D 4 pin light unit and the new LED light unit. If anybody could help I would greatly appreciate it. Many thanks

Attachments

• 20220730_141203[1].jpg
    20220730_141203[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220730_141318[1].jpg
    20220730_141318[1].jpg
    939.8 KB · Views: 1
Hi John, thanks for that. Do I need to use all of the neutral earth and live wires as it seems the new LED light unit only has enough space to fit one single neutral earth and live wire. Or do I run the existing wires through a connection block with a single wire coming out the other end into the new light unit if that makes sense? Many thanks

What you have is a line/neutral loop in, line/neutral loop out, a cable to the switch and a cable to an extract fan. You are going to need five or six way push fit connectors and a ring terminal for the earth. I would recommend you get an electrician involved, an hour's work with a bit of testing.

As I said, it's not the best of wiring installations there, not untypical though.

I would suggest you use a terminal block to allow the connections to be made to a single cable to connect to the new unit. You could detach the existing terminal block from the old light, cut the wires and connect that into the new light assuming the old light is being scrapped. Alternatively get a new strip of connector block or Wago terminals.

Please do take great care, power off, make sure a good earth connection is made to the new light.

It may be worthwhile as Fleeting suggests getting a local Sparkie to sort it for you.

It's what happens when changing a pendant light from a rose fitting as above much better to loop at the switch.