Bathroom light solution suggestions?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fozzy279

Reaction score
Buying lighting for a bathroom. We want to replace some old spotlights (with a 11mm hole in the plasterboard) with something more modern. I know different zones in a bathroom require different IP ratings. I want to buy the bits myself, ready for an electrician to fit when we are ready. Problem is - all the modern downlighters tend to be smaaler diameter. I've seen these downlight convertors which take up the most of the hole, but these say they are not to be used in bathrooms.

So my question is, what lights can I get that are modern (prefereably LED) big enough to cover the hole left by the old lights, yet still be the appropriate IP rating (I'm willing to go "Up" an IP rating if necessary - to get the safest type) Can Low voltage ones be used with no IP rayed dowlight convertors?

Regards..

You say an 11mm hole in the plasterboard. That's clearly a mistake. What really is the diameter of the hole in the ceiling? I'm guessing you mean 110mm?

Does the replacement light have to be a flush mounting one and does it have to be a spotlighrt?

Is it just one or several lights?

Last edited by a moderator:
You say an 11mm hole in the plasterboard. That's clearly a mistake. What really is the diameter of the hole in the ceiling? I'm guessing you mean 110mm?

Does the replacement light have to be a flush mounting one and does it have to be a spotlighrt?

Is it just one or several lights?

Yes, you are right! - missed of the 0 - 110mm hole. There are 4 of them at present in a row.

Thanks

What exactly is the problem with fitting converters?

Is this an upstairs bathroom and needing to avoid ingress to the loft,? 

A small bead of instant gasket can be very useful in instances such as these, :)

What exactly is the problem with fitting converters?

Is this an upstairs bathroom and needing to avoid ingress to the loft,? 

A small bead of instant gasket can be very useful in instances such as these, :)

No problem fitting convertors - its just that the ones I was recommended (eterna CR80CR) specifically state they musn't be used in bathrooms - I was wondering what the issue was and if there had to be specific ones for bathrooms???

Cheers

If it's an upstairs room you must prevent moisture entering the loft, most converters (any I have seen) won't do this,

A bead of instant gasket is the solution, 

No problem fitting convertors - its just that the ones I was recommended (eterna CR80CR) specifically state they musn't be used in bathrooms - I was wondering what the issue was and if there had to be specific ones for bathrooms???

Cheers
I have only used converters once. IIRC I got them from TLC.  Whilst they came with a basic open non IP rated GU10 lamp holder, this was a standard fitting that just clipped into the round disck of the converter.  So it would have been perfectly possible to discard that and replace it with an IP rated GU10 or whatever.

Buy one and try it?

I have just found I have one of these in my "leftovers" box.

It's made by Eterna it's called a GU10/LV ceiling converter model CR80WHB

The overall diameter is 150mm so should cover your 110mm hole okay. It takes a downlight fitting with an overall diameter of 80mm and the hole size in the centre of the converter plate is 60mm diameter.

So if you can find an IP rated downlight that fits a 60mm hole that should be able to work with this converter plate.

You might need to do a bit of jiggery pokery, as the basic fitting supplied with the converther has longer than normal spring retaining arms to account for the larger hole size so you will probably want to swap these longer spring arms onto your IP fitting in place of the standard ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everybody for your suggestions... btw, do bathroom mirror / lights / shaver unit need a dedicated supply from the fuse board?

Regards...