Bathroom socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robojin

Reaction score
As I was specing up a Plasma installation in a bedroom, found this in the airing cupboard of the en suite shower room, spurred from a switched spur (did not confirm if spur was for the immersion heater, or if the plumber installed it with the newish looking cylinder, will do so on next visit)

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu178/robojin/P060409_RCD.jpg

about 1200mm from Zone 0, did I miss something in regs or is this a no no even with an RCD

Now the moral question, it's a handy outlet for the concealed TV socket up through the left wall into the bedroom, should I / could I

i) not use it and advise client that this is unconventional (tactful phrase)

ii) spur from this in T&E, to a 3A SFO in the bedroom behind the TV

iii) use a 3amp fused plug with TRS or similar (load likely 1A max), into a dual socket

The client suggested they would like 2-3 sockets for DVD etc

PS never understood why if they decide to use mini trunking why only do half a job?

If the airing cupboard requires a 'tool' to open it then thought it was fine? How likely is the cupboard to get wet?

If you are going to put some plug sockets in why not wack 13A ones in - cos the missus is bound to plug the hairdryer and straightening irons in to the handy socket whilst watching Corrie................

Being pedantic here, any place that you need to fit s/o's etc (in the pic, washing machines/dishwashers) I would personally put them up higher than the source of water, just in case water leaks and cascades down the wall to your socket.Andy Guiness Drink
I thought it wrong in so many ways, I've assumed it's a plumbers idea of safe

Patch no locks on this one, not sure that you could get away even with "Trained person" e.g. customer, also this is in a young boys bedroom, I saw no sign of curling tongs yet ;)

Whatever, I'll wire for 13A but fuse for 3A

I'd guess the spur once fed the imm.htr. Looks like a flex from it to the central heating and then the socket. Why is the socket there ? Why not replace it with a spur unit and wire your TV plugs from it.

Deke

I'd guess the spur once fed the imm.htr. Looks like a flex from it to the central heating and then the socket. Why is the socket there ? Why not replace it with a spur unit and wire your TV plugs from it.Deke
Thanks Deke, I was thinking that, convert to a 3A FS for the TV sockets

was going to ask the customer why the socket was there, explain that it was not a good idea even with an RCD, who knows if even the button has ever been tested?

Can't wait to find out who installed it just for curiosity sake