Bathroom Wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Procrustes

Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]Good afternoon forum members,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I’m planning a bathroom refurbishment that will include six devices requiring 230V. A 200W digital shower, a 31W ventilation unit, a mirror with shaver socket, demister pad and led lights (power requirement not specified anywhere), 300W of underfloor heating and two dual fuel towel radiators each fitted with a 150W element. A spare 32A MCB on the RCD protected side of our CU could be used to create a dedicated ring circuit to which the SFCUs (each fitted with a 3A fuse) could be connected. The CU is located in the garage but existing cable routes provide easy access between it and the first floor and loft.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The shower’s integrated pump/controller and the ventilation unit will both be mounted in the loft with power provided from two new SFCUs to be located nearby. The problem is that I believe that in order to the safety of local isolation for future maintenance, the four remaining SFCUs should be fitted on the bedroom wall immediately outside the en-suite bathroom door while my wife wants them out of sight, preferably in the loft with the other two.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Assuming that they can’t be located in the loft, the spare MCB can be secured in the off position with a padlock, is it acceptable to use this to isolate the entire circuit rather than provide local isolation for each of the six devices? If not and independent device isolation is required, is it acceptable to provide each of the six devices with its own dedicated radial circuit via a new secondary consumer unit populated with six 6A (3A appear to be uncommon) MCBs plus RCD or six RCBOs?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I’m aware that the electrician will answer these questions but we don’t intend having the work started until summer and would prefer to understand the aesthetic implications now. Apologies for the length of this posting - I did try to keep it as short as possible - and thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.[/SIZE]

So is your wife going to go up into the loft to turn the  towel rails on and off ? And where are you going to fit the thermostat/controller for the underfloor heating, in the loft also ?

If your bathroom is big enough the switches can go in the room (i have not seen one where that is possible)   Is there not a local cupboard these can go in

Found that hard to read in blue. :(

You cant give your wife the key for the lockout kits as thats against elf n safety.

Are you sure the figures quoted are correct? 300w doesnt sound a lot for UFH?

How about grid switches outsie bathroom. ?

:)

Probably a small bathroom so only 2mtrs of matting. I generally prefer things to be accessible but woman generally get there own way.

So is your wife going to go up into the loft to turn the  towel rails on and off ? And where are you going to fit the thermostat/controller for the underfloor heating, in the loft also ?

If your bathroom is big enough the switches can go in the room (i have not seen one where that is possible)   Is there not a local cupboard these can go in
Hi Slipshod,

Thanks for your response.

The towel rails will be operated by Kudox controllers located in the bathroom. The UFH controller will be mounted on the bedroom wall immediately outside the bathroom alongside a boost switch for the ventilator. My wife doesn't want four SFCUs in addition to the controller and switch.

Unfortunately the room isn't large enough to allow the SFCUs inside and there isn't a convenient cupboard.

Well,if you went for Click accessories you could put 2 switches and 2 fuses on a 2 gang plate so two these would reduce the "area"required

Can you not put them lower down at skirting board level also?

Just saying.........
Hi Kerching,

Thanks for your response.

I'm not familiar with Click accessories - reducing the area required would help - I'll take a look.

Putting the switches lower down would help too.