Bathrooms (reg 701.411.3.3 specifically)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I add a new circuit to a bathroom (for a downflow heater) then it will need RCD protection...

But what about the other circuits (e.g. shower & lights)????

I will already be upgrading/installing the PEB's and cable from CU to downflow will be in mini trunking.

If you are altering anything then it must have RCD protection but the regs are not retrospective and therefore if you don't touch the existing circuits there's no reason to RCD protect.

Might be good practice to RCD protect tho.

But I'm no spark........

Yeh, that's what I was thinking..

But it's a bit half and half if you know what I mean:-?

As all work that you do must comply with 7671 and this reg states that "Additional protection shall be provided for all circuits of the location....." and I'm introducing a new circuit to that location, then ???????

I'm sure the electrical regs, building regs etc are NOT retrospective.

It would get silly if everytime the regs changed you couldn't have a shower until you'd had an electrician in and upgraded your wiring!

:D

If you install a new circuit into the bathroom you can either verify/install SEB and rcd protect the new circuit (with a recommendation to rcd protect all circuits) OR you can rcd the lot and possibly negate the need for SEB, depending on the circumstances.

I agree with professional on this one. Thats what my assessor said awell. Nightmare innit ?:|

Ok- my input.

701.411.3.3 does not use the words "existing" or "retrospectively" (in my copy, anyway).

Therefore, it is in reference to NEW ccts. You cannot fail a 16th compliant property, because it doesn`t comply to 17th.

You can, however, always put an "in my opinion...." on your cert. tip: always use that phrase, as you cannot be sued in a court of law for having an opinion.

To your o/p. Your NEW install MUST comply with 17th. The existing - IN MY OPINION should be noted on the cert. that it complies to 16th (or doesn`t, as the case may be!)

HTH

KME

Ok- my input.701.411.3.3 does not use the words "existing" or "retrospectively" (in my copy, anyway).

Therefore, it is in reference to NEW ccts. You cannot fail a 16th compliant property, because it doesn`t comply to 17th.

You can, however, always put an "in my opinion...." on your cert. tip: always use that phrase, as you cannot be sued in a court of law for having an opinion.

To your o/p. Your NEW install MUST comply with 17th. The existing - IN MY OPINION should be noted on the cert. that it complies to 16th (or doesn`t, as the case may be!)

HTH

KME
NICE POST, WORTHY

Latest posts