Batteries and FIT payment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I want to add battery storage to my 12 year old PV panel and Sunnyboy inverter setup, the max-rate FIT applies.

Is there a way to replace the Sunnyboy with an AC coupled Hybrid Inverter AND still feed the FIT generation meter with the full PV output ?

I suspect the answer is no.

So how does the additional hybrid inverter know when there is excess PV output to charge the battery ?

Will the right hybrid inverter have the smarts for CTs on the solar inverter mains output to the FITS generation meter, and on the mains cable to the DNO meter ?

Or is there an external device available that can handle that ?

If you are on a "historic" FIT I think you will find that every time you submit a reading you also have to sign that your system has not been modified. My agreement certainly does that. Presumably if you do modify, and declare it, then you will be put on a current tariff.

Presumably if you do modify, and declare it, then you will be put on a current tariff.

Answers to a previous post I made suggested that isn't the case. For instance "replacement" of a "worm-out" inverter shouldn't alter the tariff

Why replace a decent inverter that's still working?
Because selling the existing inverter will offset the cost of the hybrid inverter, if my requirement for full PV generation to go through the FIT meter can be met.

Ok, I would contact your FiT provider and discuss your plans with them. If they agree you can make changes, without losing the high tariff, ensure you get that in writing / email.

Hi, Newby her.
I've have a pv installed in 2012, good FIT tariff. I was under the impression that any changes to the install, unless like for like will invalidate the taffif.
If using a hybrid inverter, would the power from the battery usage not pass through the generation meter, as that is after the inverte and before the CU, thus showing extra generation, ie false reading.

I am in the process of getting battery storage fitted, was going through Eon, with a Givenergy system to be fitted, after a number of issues, I've told them I'm.cancelling it.
One reason, when their engineer designed it, he stated as I'm on FIT, I need an AC inverter, so it does not affect the original system.
When the contractor, not Eon arrived, fortunately I was in and spotted a hybrid inverter and the young lad wanted to remove my old inverter in the loft.
Let's say I had a discussion with him and basically, he didn't understand the difference between a hybrid and ac inverter.
He left!
Eon have been absolutely crap, not returning calls, blaming the contractor, contractor blaming Eon, hence I told them to stick it.
Oh and it was orded on14th January, its now back end of July.

Hi, Newby her.
I've have a pv installed in 2012, good FIT tariff. I was under the impression that any changes to the install, unless like for like will invalidate the taffif.
If using a hybrid inverter, would the power from the battery usage not pass through the generation meter, as that is after the inverte and before the CU, thus showing extra generation, ie false reading.

I am in the process of getting battery storage fitted, was going through Eon, with a Givenergy system to be fitted, after a number of issues, I've told them I'm.cancelling it.
One reason, when their engineer designed it, he stated as I'm on FIT, I need an AC inverter, so it does not affect the original system.
When the contractor, not Eon arrived, fortunately I was in and spotted a hybrid inverter and the young lad wanted to remove my old inverter in the loft.
Let's say I had a discussion with him and basically, he didn't understand the difference between a hybrid and ac inverter.
He left!
Eon have been absolutely crap, not returning calls, blaming the contractor, contractor blaming Eon, hence I told them to stick it.
Oh and it was orded on14th January, its now back end of July.
I would talk to your FiT provider and ask if they would allow a hybrid without affecting the FiT. If they say yes, get it in writing. Generally I would advise an AC battery system to avoid any issues.

I would talk to your FiT provider and ask if they would allow a hybrid without affecting the FiT. If they say yes, get it in writing. Generally I would advise an AC battery system to avoid any issues.
Going to leave it all as is, as the saying goes, "if it's not broken...." got another 15 years of fit payments, returning approx £1500 pa at present rates for a 3.2kw system, sods law, will change something and it will break.

This is what I ll be doing, have a AC couple batteries to eliminate all the risk someone ends up saying now I lose the FIT...

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts