Becoming an Electrician.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thread Welsh Wizard...

Do you know how to become NIC EIC and ECA registered if needed to become an domestic/commercial sparky?

thing is you cant register unless ur qaulified even if ur training with a spark that is with one of the registered bodies and i think thats a shame as its a good learning aid...... and u would get the correct info 1st time every time .....

You may or may not, be interested (at some stage in your career) to perhaps gain the C&G 2377 Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) - 13 Week course.

this is mainly only a 1 day course which most people that have done 2330 level 2 with a copy of the acop could pass without doing the 1 day course. the other info seems spot on and good advice.

Hi WW

Your nice list is all very well, but it gives the distinct impression that what you are trying to do is intimidate rather than inform. As somebody who would like to become a qualified spark, I would like to know much more.

In a couple of sentences, what do you learn in the 2330 year 1 course? What do you learn in the year 2 course? Are you learning every conceivable electrical skill or just the basic principles? Is it delivered at the moron level or does it assume some practical skills? I can understand that school kids might need more than folk that have knocked around a bit.

Why are they split?

How are you certified - on coursework or exam?

Ditto the other courses you mention.

If I have considerable but selective experience ( eg no 3 phase) can I bypass sections of the course?

Is there anywhere that does these courses full-time? I'm too old to spend years at it, I'll be dead before the end of it.

Is there anyway of qualifying for selected parts - I'm never going to do caravan parks and circuses!

For part P scheme providers, is there anyone supporting people who do a very small number of jobs per year?

The requirement to test anually a skill set that doesn't change much year on year is absurd. They are confused as to whether they are guaranteeing your skills or guaranteeing your execution, the latter being obviously impossible.

Your choice of two section assumes that the reader knows what you are talking about. A complete newby would get lost here.

With regard to the Part P Scheme providers, how much do they need to see on their assessment visits (which could usefully be referenced in your list)? Do you need to have rewired a complete London borough or would a partial rewire of a domestic be sufficient?

Please persevere with your list, in all the researching I've done I've not come across a complete, easy-to-understand, definitive list of what you have to do to get part P scheme provider'ed, that doesn't assume you know at least part of what is involved already.

Firstly, FirstEdition. Welcome to the forum.

I am not qualified to answer all your questions, but I shall try my best.

(There are qualified sparks on here that will correct me if I am wrong).

Hi WW

Your nice list is all very well, but it gives the distinct impression that what you are trying to do is intimidate rather than inform.

I can assure you that, that is Not the case. What parts do you feel are intimidating? Let me know and I will change them as that is Not what I wanted to do at all.

As somebody who would like to become a qualified spark, I would like to know much more.

In a couple of sentences, what do you learn in the 2330 year 1 course?

The course is split into two evenings a week. We do Practical on a Monday and Theory on a Wednesday.

Monday, when you first start you wire up a plug and socket, terminal strips etc, then you do various things such as, wiring (on a Board & in a Booth) One way, two way & intermediate lighting (old method too). Ring mains, Consumer units, testing (IR & Continuity, R1 & R2 etc). Switch Disconnectors (lock off swiches).

Wednesdays, we do the Forumlas, such as power & ohms law etc, Motors, Generators, transformers etc.

What do you learn in the year 2 course? Are you learning every conceivable electrical skill or just the basic principles?

Level 3 (year 2) I haven't done it yet - I am still on level 2 (year 1) - You actually put the formulas into action (learn then in year 1) You learn more on testing & Inspection. and more circuits (I am sure someone will go into this in more detail - for us).

Is it delivered at the moron level or does it assume some practical skills? I can understand that school kids might need more than folk that have knocked around a bit.

It is, I was told - the same course as the 16 year olds do, Yes.

Why are they split?

That is the way the colleges do it. Some do 3 year courses.

How are you certified - on coursework or exam?

Both, I believe - I will have to double check on that for you.

Ditto the other courses you mention.

?:|

If I have considerable but selective experience ( eg no 3 phase) can I bypass sections of the course?

Not on the C&G 2330 (levels 2 & 3).

Is there anywhere that does these courses full-time? I'm too old to spend years at it, I'll be dead before the end of it.

I don't know - is the honest answer. I have only querried Part-time. I don't know if there is a course for mature adults on a full time basis.

Is there anyway of qualifying for selected parts - I'm never going to do caravan parks and circuses!

Again, Not that I know of.

For part P scheme providers, is there anyone supporting people who do a very small number of jobs per year?

There is one, I'll have to double check which one, that allows you to do upto a certain amount of jobs per year (I believe that figure to be 6 or 8). Again, will have to be checked.

The requirement to test anually a skill set that doesn't change much year on year is absurd. They are confused as to whether they are guaranteeing your skills or guaranteeing your execution, the latter being obviously impossible.

Can't help you there.

Your choice of two section assumes that the reader knows what you are talking about. A complete newby would get lost here.

Thanks for the feedback. (I only kick started the thread for people to add on their experience).

With regard to the Part P Scheme providers, how much do they need to see on their assessment visits (which could usefully be referenced in your list)? Do you need to have rewired a complete London borough or would a partial rewire of a domestic be sufficient?

With respect, this can be found on their websites. I believe, without looking again, to be in the region of one minor and one major works. Ie - An addition/new circuit & a Board cange or sub main.

Please persevere with your list, in all the researching I've done I've not come across a complete, easy-to-understand, definitive list of what you have to do to get part P scheme provider'ed, that doesn't assume you know at least part of what is involved already.

No problem, I appreciate your feedback. Anything else, post here or send me an E-mail and I will look into it.

Best Wishes,

Jamie.

If a qualified spark or college teaching staff can look through the above and inform me of any errors, I will alter it straightaway.

hi

the 2330 at tech is a couple of years and gains you an NVQ2.....(practical and theory)

then you need to work in the industry as a mate and enrol for your NVQ3. this is a work based portfolio and more college for a couple of years in evening class.

then you do your AM2 exam and then you are home and dry! it is a big achievement and well done to those who embark on it!

i teach NVQ at nightschool and really enjoy working with all the lads!

The college in Sheffield does full time one year C&G 2330 courses for all ages, to gain a level 3 qualification. Obviously the drawback is you get no 'real world' experience with working in 'real' houses, instead you are fixing on boards and in 2m X 2m booths! I did my 2330 in 3 years (one day a week) whilst working for a building company gaining 'on the job' experience.

Wow, what a comprehensive answer, WW! Thanks very much!

Reading the list again, I confess that my allegation of intimidation was my being over-sensitive.

hey, if youre a mature student studying the 2330, then a good idea would be to do your nvq level3 at the same time as your 2nd year of the 2330. Providing youre working in the industry of course. As for the AM2, this is not required by the JIB to hold a 'spark card' if you have the 2330 and nvq level3.