best birthday present

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
Been up to a bit of stuff lately,this culminated in me disappearing after work one night and spending a pleasant hour and half in a pub in the company of a young lady

Now this wasn't what you might think,it was the culmination of a lot of searching,and the young lady in question was in fact my daughter,whom I haven't seen in a long time.

I asked if she'd come over for my birthday and she said she'd try,I waited nervously in the pub beer garden on Thursday and she did indeed arrive,much to the shock of my stepson who was unaware I had  a daughter.We spoke nervously for a while,feeling each other out and me trying to answer her questions,I decided to go to the shop and asked if she wanted to go with me,she agreed.As we were crossing the road a car came speeding around the corner and nearly hit her,I picked her up with one arm and swept her onto the pavement before hurling a torrent of abuse at the errant driver!

We continued on to the shop and I proceeded to take her to the sweets aisle,before inviting her to take her pick,she looked a bit puzzled and said she'd rather have some cigarettes.I was a bit shocked at first,even though we'd both been smoking in the pub,anyway I bought her a pack and we headed back to the pub.

I saw her again on Friday and she told me she was going out with her friends round town and how expensive the taxi's were,I told her to ring me and I'd take her home.She rang me at nearly 1 am Saturday morning,sounding drunk and asking if she could stay out until 2 am.I said I'd rather she came home now and I'd meet her outside the pub.I arrived and she was nowhere to be seen,my phone rang and it was her "can you pick me up please I want to go home" she sounded a bit upset and was actually in the pizza shop opposite.I put her in the car and she started to eat the pizza as we drove to her house,I stopped outside and turned on the interior light,she'd spilt pizza topping all down the front of her white blouse,it was all over her face and I had to stop myself from getting a tissue and wiping it off.We said goodnight and I watched until she was safely in the house before driving off,I rang her today to ask if she was ok,she was.

She's actually 28,married and I have 2 grandaughters,the thing is I last saw her when she was 6 years old,in my head she's still my little baby,boy is this going to take some getting used to.lol

That's quite a tale Phil, I wish you and your daughter the very best with it.

My own father left when I was 2 or 3, I don't remember him  from then, but I met him again when I was 15. He's a really nice bloke and I'm glad we got in touch again. Like you said, it was awkward at first but well worth persevering through that stage.

Let us know how you're getting on from time to time

Well Phil, just shows that life isn't so bad afterall, it's only that bad things happen to good people, but remember that good wins out in the end. I'm well pleased for you.