Best Book covering 17th Edition

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon1013

Reaction score
My 1st post here and looking for some guidance, I have a dry shell extension up and want to help out my electrician with the 1st fix (and reduce my costs and because I like that sort of thing) by running some cables, drilling holes and sinking boxes and whatever I can do etc....understand the implications of Part P etc already.

It's not a big extension but will comprise a new CU, 2 ring mains (one of which will be in a kitchen), 2 lighting circuits, exterior lights and a means to get power to a new garage plus some addition stuff like power to UFH in 3 zones so covers a broad spectrum.

He seems a friendly chap and happy for me to do some of the legwork but want to get up to speed on the latest regs and installation guidelines so I can have a more meaningful discussion with him and not waste his time asking about the basics.

So, I have seen references to the 'Onsite Guide', 'Electricians Guide' and many more with varying reviews. I don't need them all but looking for the best all round book with good practical advice.

I am a systems engineer in another industry so I have a good understanding of electrics in general and wouldn't be phased (lol) if the books get into the detail.

Thanks in advance all!!!

Ha. Thanks Binky.

I like understanding what I am told rather than following instructions blindly.....I am 'a bit funny' like that.

Just put an order in for the On-Site Guide.

The Safari book looked interesting, sounding like a mix of autobiography, humour and tech from the authors summary, which does appeal but I am reading Catch 22 right now for amusement....

Cheers to both

my background is similar to yours, until I retrained I didn't really understand how much different the 2 disciplines are, more to do with good installation practices than understanding Ohms law.

Ordered the "On-Site Guide" from Amazon and it arrived next day (yesterday).

Very interesting book and pitched at exactly the level I was hoping for. Thanks.

Latest posts