Best way forward for a student

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetheglitz

Electrician
Reaction score
At the moment (the past 4 weeks) I'm an agency lecturer teaching 2330 level 3 and 2357. Hope it continues!

Can't believe some of the 2330 students are still there - I've heard of one student re-taking a module 17 times to get a pass - not sure if that's just folk-lore - but this approach devalues the electrician - and to think he might be condemning 5 day wonders in the future makes me angry!

The 2357 students are truly excellent - motivated, capable, personable - says a lot for the recruitment procedure of the firms involved.

To the point - I've got a mature student doing 2357 whose been on site for 15 years, keen as mustard, bit rusty with the maths but bloody bright. He's giving up one day a week to do the 2357 as a 4 year course - and quite frankly I think he will resent the cost of the course for what he gets out of it. He's got all the practical skills - otherwise he wouldn't be employed and is more academically capable than he realizes.

I'm new to this and possibIy naive - but is there a faster route he could go to get a JIB card - thinking 2381/2391 and experience?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks, Dave

Dave,

by JIB do you mean ECS?

if so, and he has some quals, possibly 2382 (& or) 2391 then if he can prove (maybe) 10years experience he should be OK to get an ECS card,

Yes the CSCS card is no good in this area; the one to have is the ECS.

Following 2391 he could register with a competence body and this may assist.

Why don't you take an intensive training course, I know there expensive, but I did one and I eventually got on the ladder after sending around 300 letters