Best way to find a short circuit between L and N? I.e a tripping MCB.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyHippyDad

Reaction score
Finding a fault on a tripping RCD is usually fairly straight forward. The fault usually shows up on an IR test, then we just break the circuit down.

However, with a tripping MCB I find it harder.

We know that a 30mA RCD will trip (approx) with a L/N -E IR of around 8000ohms or below (I'm being very simplistic here, I realise the figure can be much higher as it changes very easily. the point being we have an idea of what to look for) , so we have a figure to keep in mind when testing. Is there a figure we are looking for when an MCB trips, or are we simply looking for continuity?

The reason I find it difficult, is because it can be sometimes impossible to remove all plugged in appliances/FCU's from the offending circuit, meaning we are always going to get a fairly low resistance figure between L and N, sometimes extremely low, low enough to indicate continuity, meaning an IR test for a tripping MCB is not a useful tool for finding the fault (as it is with a tripping RCD). Also, we wouldn't even know if we have removed everything, as there will always be a low resistance figure between L-N because we have a fault.

What are your go to methods for finding the fault linked with a tripping MCB?

I am assuming its not overload as this can be determined by working out max demand. Also, not a L-E fault as this could be found with IR testing. Purely a L-N fault/short circuit.

Last edited:
For a L-N short it in not an insulation tester you need but a low ohms tester, same as you use for instance for measuring continuity on a ring final or doing R1+R2 tests.

To get >32A flowing to trip a 32A mcb requires the "load" (in this case the short circuit) to be less than 7.5 ohms so that should be easy to find.

Same as IR faults start splitting the circuit down into individual legs.

But first ask the question "What work has been done recently" and you mean ANY work done in the house. My favourite example was then the customer said none, I spent the best part of an hour to determine the faulty bit of cable was a light cable above the kitchen ceiling. At that point the customer said "we just had the kitchen flat roof replaced" I rest my case.

And if it goes instantly with a loud bang, rather than after a number of seconds, you can assume its kicking out on the mag, for a B32 thats going to be at least 3x32A = 96A. So say 100A and do a quick fag packet caluclation, You've got a resistance thats 2.3ohms or below, which is a lot lower than most loads will have (Watch out for things like transformers though, that can have quite a low resistance, because most of their impedance is reactive), but if its as low as 2.3ohms then you'd expect it to sometimes take the B32 MCB out through inrush. So maybe you might see a resistance that low if someone has left a 5ka site transformer or old skool stick welder plugged in, but unlikely in a domestic. So just go round and disconnect the appliances you can see, afterall the issue might be with an appliance. then start trying to work out where on the circuit fault is, if its still there

When you are talking of low resistances like that, the cable resistance is going to be significnant to your readings, so you can use your plug top lead and go round the circuit and find which sockets have the lowest reading and therefore are closest to the fault.

For a L-N short it in not an insulation tester you need but a low ohms tester, same as you use for instance for measuring continuity on a ring final or doing R1+R2 tests.

To get >32A flowing to trip a 32A mcb requires the "load" (in this case the short circuit) to be less than 7.5 ohms so that should be easy to find.

Same as IR faults start splitting the circuit down into individual legs.

But first ask the question "What work has been done recently" and you mean ANY work done in the house. My favourite example was then the customer said none, I spent the best part of an hour to determine the faulty bit of cable was a light cable above the kitchen ceiling. At that point the customer said "we just had the kitchen flat roof replaced" I rest my case.

And if it goes instantly with a loud bang, rather than after a number of seconds, you can assume its kicking out on the mag, for a B32 thats going to be at least 3x32A = 96A. So say 100A and do a quick fag packet caluclation, You've got a resistance thats 2.3ohms or below, which is a lot lower than most loads will have (Watch out for things like transformers though, that can have quite a low resistance, because most of their impedance is reactive), but if its as low as 2.3ohms then you'd expect it to sometimes take the B32 MCB out through inrush. So maybe you might see a resistance that low if someone has left a 5ka site transformer or old skool stick welder plugged in, but unlikely in a domestic. So just go round and disconnect the appliances you can see, afterall the issue might be with an appliance. then start trying to work out where on the circuit fault is, if its still there

When you are talking of low resistances like that, the cable resistance is going to be significnant to your readings, so you can use your plug top lead and go round the circuit and find which sockets have the lowest reading and therefore are closest to the fault.
Thanks for the in depth answers to both of you.

Yes, I always start with lots of questions for the customer, as it's usually something they have recently done.

So, are you basically saying you're going to get a very low resistance and to use this to split the circuit down and find fault etc? With this way of doing it you just have assume there are no appliances that will have a low enough L-N resistance to send you on a wild goose chase, as there are not many situations where you will have these very low resistance values on appliances?

And to trip an MCB it is just as likely to be a L-E short, which is much more likely with a nail through a cable.
True, but this feels like it would be easier to track down as you will be testing to earth, so no appliances will be affecting the results.

A short circuit between line and neutral will give a low reading in comparison to an appliance. Using ohms law a 2.3kw (23 ohm) kettle will give 10A so not a short circuit. As already mentioned you would need a low ohm meter and decide if what you are reading could quantify as a dead short, knowing the cable csa you can estimate where it is from the reading.

A tone tester that can be set up to operate on open or closed circuit is a good piece of kit using the closed circuit function will only tone to the fault and not beyond it so aiding quickly identifying / locating the fault or shorted location