BG 13 way metal CU

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Believe it or not I did my first CU change since the new rules about all metal CU's came in. So though it worth posting a quick review.

I needed a 10 way board, but had a peculiar requirement to fit an additional single MCB for an off peak control circuit. So I chose the BG 13 way board on sale from screwy's at the same price as the 10 way. Only comes with 10mcb's and 3 empty spaces perfect for my extra mcb.

I have always said with the metal CU's it will be the number, position, and ease of knocking out the knoclouts that sorts out the good fromt he bad.

so some piccies:

There's a good row of 20mm round knock outs top and bottom as well as two 32mm knock outs top and bottom and one 32mm knock out on each end.

In the back is one large oval knock out in the middle and another large round one either side.

For this install it was mostly using the large oval knock out in the back, one of the 32mm round knock outs in the bottom for the tails, and 2 of the 20mm knock outs for my off peak mcb.

Inside the mcb asembly is identical to the BG plastic boards so many will be familliar with that.

All knock outs knocked out easilly.

The grommet strip supplied is almost useable, needing a bit of tape to stop it keep falling out when you insert wires.

Personally I prefer the round knock outs in this cu to the square ones that some cu's have, it means you can use proper gromets that are less likely to fall out that trying to get a bit of gromet strip to stay in a square hole.

In my application I offset the gear to the left to leave the spare space to the right. That neatly lined up the incomer with one of the 32mm knock outs.  If you wanted to fully populate it as a 13 way board, then rather irritatingly the incomer would not line up with the 32mm knock outs.

The front (sory forgot to photograph that) looks nice but again the front panel hinges down where I am sure the regs say it should hinge up so it can't be left open?

One annoying feature, was the earth bar clamps onto a pin welded to the metal case. It uses the extreme left earth terminal for that.  I would like o have moved the earth bar to the right a bit as some of my cpc's were a bit short but you can't do that with this arrangement, so I had to extend them instead.

2016-04-01 10.37.28.jpg

2016-04-01 10.37.40.jpg

2016-04-01 10.37.49.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: