Big Brother is watching us .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One has to ask how much spying goes on and how it works .   

A while back I noticed  ( Was it Youtube ?  Can't remember )   I captured  what must have been a music video  and there was a reference  to  two Forum members  who I think I'd sent Private messages to  ...Andy  & Sharpend  .  

Now I just made one of my rare visits to my Facebook  page ..........  on the strip of photos called "People you may know"    there are often pictures of cousins and a couple of schoolmates but now .......theres  photos of two people I deal with in my business ,  both directors of a print firm I've been going to for the last 25 years  , with their families etc.    

Whats all this about  ?    I know I have recently spoken with  both persons by email  ,  ( or should I say  gmail ?)  

I also understand that Google tracks  my cell phone  .       What the hell !!   

Does Google own Facebook ?  

Everyone has forgotten now but  in the Blair administration  it was mooted that ALL new cars would be fitted with hidden  tracking devices   ( I didn't dream this )     it was never referred to again  . 

I have an ear for oddball quotations  so it did happen .      I remember stuff like  a late night news broadcast  that strangely , signed off with  "   And finally , Special Forces  have left Hereford  for South Georgia  , because some Argentine fishermen  had landed there.     What!!!!!     Don't bloody well tell 'em  what we're doing .!!      Six weeks later we were at war .   

No other news media ever mentioned that .

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think they own it but they certainly put up adverts based on data they have harvested from users of their services. - use google to research something and related stuff appears on facebook a day or later.  I assume they get paid for directing this material by the advertisers.

If your browser supports it, download the browser add on Ghostery.  You should also install AddBlock Plus.  Your browsing experience will improve no end.

Thanks   Geoff. .     So   my  business gmail  is'nt secure  because  Google is skimming information from it .   I'd recently been in conversation with both directors of the print firm via gmail .     

How would I challenge them about that ?      Or is there  a box to tick for security .?   

My email is not beholden to any of the big providers, it is based on a domain name I own, and hosted by the domain name hosting company.  Anyone "skimming" it would have to hack it first.

Thanks   Geoff. .     So   my  business gmail  is'nt secure  because  Google is skimming information from it .   I'd recently been in conversation with both directors of the print firm via gmail .     

How would I challenge them about that ?      Or is there  a box to tick for security .?   
Of I don't know that; it's mostly the browsing to related advert phenomena I've noted.  

OK  But do you find it...as I do .... a big jump from me being in  gmail contact with both directors  last week  .....to their family photos appearing on my Facebook page .

This means Mr Google  can also read the conversations between us ... in this case Mr Google  would know what my quote was to install dado trunking  & when we were doing it .  

Not Earth shattering information but thats not the point I'm thinking of. 

I don't like the way Google is taking over.

Last night I had to help my daughter with her homework.  She had to turn on her (school provided) Google Chrome book and then go onto "Google classroom" to find the set questions.

It seems to me Google are paying to indoctrinate children into the "Google way of things" 

It was inevitable and will long continue Dave, advanced technology is only good to a point but I fear it creates more problems then we really need. 
there will become only one way of doing things and all will be mindless, I remember something shown in a film many years ago. Logan’s run? 

Or  even Orwell's  "1984"    where the hero  works for The Ministry of Truth  , rewriting history to suit the party .  All the time  "Big Brother"  is watching & monitoring .  

How many times , even today , are we given half truths , falsehoods   & bullshine  by the powers that be. ?

So as I said before ,  since I bought this new cell phone ,  which seems to powered by Google ,  apparently  ,  my   (or it's) position  on the planet has been monitored .

So then you think , is my gmail private  , secure , is my phone private , secure.?  

Nothing is secure anymore, once out on the interweb anything can and will be hacked. I see myself a pretty boring and harmless as I’ve not been notified that I’ve been hacked!! 
I’m actually liking at getting a VPN, trying to decide on a suitable one, but even though everyone else allegedly can’t see me on the web it doesn’t mean those responsible for the VPN can’t hack it! So only security these days is to become technology free :)  

I looked at the Apps on my phone  with a view to delete some I'll never use ...that seemed to be harder than I'd imagined .   Dire warnings like  "Deleting this could adversely  affect the way your phone works"  etc    

I also noticed  on  my phone   "Play Music "  or something,     some CDs  which I  downloaded to my PC   a couple of years ago .   :C   Bare in mind I don't use Google as a browser . So some sort of  software has searched my PC  & found  some music CDs .

I'm not going to play music on the phone  ....what would that sound like ???         

It sounds a lot better than you think

i don't use Siri

almost every night I have a bath sometime around 7:30

I set timer on my phone for 40 minutes as I fall asleep in the bath every time     And have done so for the last 30 odd years

upgraded my phone a month ago and now I have started getting a message at about 7:30 asking me if I want to set a timer for 40 minutes!    WTAF. Siri now knows when I have a bath...Next thing will be adverts for soap and rubber ducks

I don't like the way Google is taking over.

Last night I had to help my daughter with her homework.  She had to turn on her (school provided) Google Chrome book and then go onto "Google classroom" to find the set questions.

It seems to me Google are paying to indoctrinate children into the "Google way of things" 
I've just read that Google want to start offering bank accounts.  

Imagine that. They will know where every penny you earn or spend comes from and goes to, your savings and your spending capacity

I've just read that Google want to start offering bank accounts.  

Imagine that. They will know where every penny you earn or spend comes from and goes to, your savings and your spending capacity
imagine the adverts they’d push on you then, they’ll be tailored to what disposable income you had not just your interests. 
F That, time to take back control of our own life! 

Latest posts