Blown fuse....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok.. Picture this...

Supply to a factory. 200A three phase DNO cutout with 100A fuses. Tails about six feet long into TWO large switchfuses. [fuse size no idea, as i have not been able to open them yet]

TWO submains, [one from each switchfuse] both with at least 50mm if not 75mm, 4 core SWA about 80 metres long.

DB's at ends of submains [DB's both three phase ones]

One DB contains a load of small SP MCBS to power a small office. ["C" curve"]

Other DB contains a few TP MCB's, a few 32A ones, and ONE 63A one to power various gantry cranes and saws and welders. ["C" curve]

Workers come in on monday morning [works empty all weekend] to find "power off"....

Man next door claims to be an "electrician" and quickly finds TWO cutout fuses blown... [NO other OCPD's tripped, just the cutout fuses]

So, ok, phase to phase fault [my guess] or two phase to earth faults [unlikely??]

DNO replace fuses and everything works perfectly..

Workers go home at night, come in next morning, both cutout fuses blown again. DNO replace them again, everything works again!!!

So, my guess is submain cable damage, inbetween switch fuses at supply origin, and the DB's [so when i can, IR testing is wanted] [perfectly possible [if not extremely likely] given environment that cables have sustained damage though crushing, or being forced round small bends violently]

Only other option is a fault on the 63A circuit as although the 32A fuses would discriminate with the 100A fuses [I would imagine] the 63A i am not so sure. [No let through energy charts for the MCBS here either]

Why though, or how, can you have a phase to phase fault big enough to blow the cutout fuses, with no obvious damage to show?? How can a fault of that magnitude "clear" itself, only to return the next day, and clear itself a second time???

What i cannot understand is, if the fault was of low impedance, surely to god there would be damage evident to the cable, like an open circuit or all conductors welded together, and if the fault was of sufficient impedance to take a few minutes to blow the fuses, the the energy dissipated in the fault [I2r] would have had the cable, or at least the faulty bit glowing red!!

As of this morning, everything perfect, but tonight... Hmmmmm....

john..

Definitely someone tampering imo, I can't see any situation where a fault that big would blow 2 fuses then clear itself. Yes I've had faults blow fuses and clear before but they always leave some trace behind, I had one where a single phase cable took the breaker out twice then cleared, it IR'd clear but further testing revealed no earth. The cable had become damaged and gone down to earth taking out the breaker, the guy had closed the breaker onto the fault and it literally blew a chunk of the earth cable away, the breaker stayed in but testing showed no earth at the far end. What have the DNO said? they usually aren't happy about keep replacing main fuses.

The DNO have fitted new fuses twice but made it clear that they will not be doing it again...

Half the installation [the bit i installed a few years ago] will all be fine as i installed it and it is all protected from damage, but the rest has bits of steel chucked on it and 30 foot lengths of 70mm SWA danging over sharp edges where "the rope holding it up snapped??!!!"

On the weekend when i can shut it all off i will do some IR tests, but if it goes off in the meantime they will be stuck!!

john..

The only thing I can suggest is to walk along the length of the suspect cables and see if there are any tell tale bulges in the sheath, as these may indicate something going on inside, not guaranteed but it may help.

Only problem is that they are somewhat difficult to get at, high in the air mostly and dangling in fresh air in others!! I will try to get a photo!!

john..
Ha, hanging in fresh air eh, is it possible that constant swinging in the breeze has caused internal damage near where the cable is fixed? worth a look at.

That is what i was thinking... The one cable dropped about 20 feet under its own weight and yanked its self tight over the edge of a beam... I have tried wiggling it to induce a fault, but no luck!! Obviously held a "good" bit about 20 feet away!!!!

If working ok today apparently!!

john..

Definitely someone tampering imo, I can't see any situation where a fault that big would blow 2 fuses then clear itself. Yes I've had faults blow fuses and clear before but they always leave some trace behind, I had one where a single phase cable took the breaker out twice then cleared, it IR'd clear but further testing revealed no earth. The cable had become damaged and gone down to earth taking out the breaker, the guy had closed the breaker onto the fault and it literally blew a chunk of the earth cable away, the breaker stayed in but testing showed no earth at the far end. What have the DNO said? they usually aren't happy about keep replacing main fuses.

This is the failure mode that killed Emma Shaw.

Yes, and i have to say here that i am glad that i am not involved at all..

See, to my way of thinking, say ONE cutout fuse had blown, but none of the downstream devices had tripped. Ok, i know that sometimes a fuse with blow due to "old age" but i know the loading on the installation, [as it can be plainly seen what is installed there] and none of it is anywhere NEAR enough to blow a 100A fuse, there is clearly something wrong... As all 3 phases are clearly still present, the very least i would have done would be a Zs at the DB's and make sure that there is still a neutral there as otherwise the office computers might be seeing some funny voltages.

BUT, not one, but TWO cutout fuses blew, and two days later a second set as well....

This obviously needed investigation, but it was nothing to do with me. The "man next door" was summoned, and, having found there were two phases missing, he took the lid off the cutout, tried to change the fuses himself, but discovered they were "funny ones" that the local electrical place did not sell.... Only then was the DNO called..!!

I just wandered down out of interest some time after the second set of fuses had been installed, told them that some investigation was needed, offered to have a look for them but this offer of help was declined as they did not want to turn the computers off!!

Being helpful i said that i would go and have a look on the weekend when i COULD shut the power off..

There IS a DB outside in easy reach of pikeys, but no signs of tampering, burn marks, bits of copper, or dead pikeys, soooo, no idea!!!

The whole place wants rewiring with new boards and the like, but no-one wants to pay for it...

If any of you lot saw the installation you would all fall around laughing. How they ever get a EICR done is beyond me!!!

Anyway, i will do an IR tomorrow and check Ze and Zs and see if the difference corresponds to submain length, and then see what happens!!

Have to say though, i am surprised the DNO actually fitted a second set of fuses. If a fuse blows, there is plainly a fault. To just keep replacing them is lunacy....

john..

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the failure mode that killed Emma Shaw.
Yes it nearly killed me too! The idiot didn't mention these problems, it was only when one of the cctv cables I was installing made contact with a metal standard lamp and blew the hell out of the cable that I became aware he had issues, there was a full 240v sitting on the "earthed" metal of the lamp, there was enough current to light a Drummond test lamp (filament lamp). It turned out that the fault had blown the earth clear on the feed side but on the load side of the break had welded it to the live, being as the socket was on a spur it allowed the breaker to go back in but made the earth live.

Water ingress can cause an intermittent short circuit which literally evaporates the moment it occurs. If it is water I wish you the best of luck finding it.

I spent nearly two months looking for a fault on a 200A feeder. It would blow the yellow phase, the electrician on duty would test the cable, give it a clean bill of health and re-energise. I was getting agro over this as I’d jointed the cable to extend it to a new DB. Every time it went bang, the next day I would be wandering around in the mud with the CAT trying to locate the fault. That’s when the penny dropped, mud, water was getting in to the cable. One of the production lads had damaged the cable, it didn’t go bang so he buried it and never told anyone.

Latest posts