Blown fuse....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Lurch.

It has not tripped off so i think i will leave it..

You could not make it up though... Ancient DB's with water from holes in the roof running through them.. [I have had to change mcbs because they have rusted up]

Lights wired by means of about 20 domestic extension leads connected together with the ends in shopping bags for "protection"

Isolators smashed in and cables ripped out of glands where they have been rammed with steel beams dangling from cranes..

I rewired about half the shed to try to improve things. Had to use secondhand SWA as this was all they had. Still, never mind all this "commercial premises do not need RCD protection for sockets" stuff, they do if i am fitting them....

So, i fit a load of sockets from "my" wiring, complete with a 4 pole RCD protecting "my" bit. They did ask me if i could fit more sockets from "their" wiring, but i refused, as their bit has not got any RCD protection. Reason being, is that given the environment, it is OBVIOUS that a cable is going to be crushed or cut....

A few weeks later they inquire as follows;

"The other day, we squashed an extension cable with a bit of plate, and even though the thing was switched off, it still tripped off half the shed???"

I was happliy able to inform them; "Yes, this is because the SP switch had shut off the phase conductor, but the neutral was still "live" and crushing the cable caused a N/E fault that tripped the RCD that I fitted. If it were not for the RCD you would probably now be dead...."

john..