Bonding Aerials.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brummydave

Reaction score
Re this thread here: http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/television-satellite-forum-tv-aerials-digital-freeview-satallite-cable-f-type-plugs-h/13974-bonding-digital-aerial.html#post278676

Sorry for digging up an oldish thread, but i'm really confused about the bonding issue of a home distribution amp. Several professional aerial installers websites show pictures of their 'head-ends' showing bonding green and yellow going into adaptable boxes. Does this mean they're just bonding to the supply?

I've just installed a Labgear HDU681 which has a '6mm bonding point' on it. The combi boiler is in the loft as well as as the amp so there are several options for earthing the aerial system!

Option 1 - Bond it to the supply 13A socket earth terminal (on a 32A ring main with 2.5mm TnE cables)

Option 2 - Run a 4mm to the MET. Which seems to be the required but not necessarily most sensible option!

Option 3 - Bond it to the central heating pipework. (Which already has a nice set of unneccesary clamps and green'n'yellow!)

Hayulp!

PS I spotted the part about Class II equipment could have a touch current present on exposed metalwork'. Is that the mistake you meant?!

PPS Found this info:

Loft Box Labgear HDU681S information

In the notes section they state 'use 6mm cable to provide protective earth bonding'. They don't state where to bond to though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody got something helpful for my questions please?:grouphug
Don't get confused between bonding requirements of communal aerial systems distributing to multiple dwellings, say in a group of flats, and aerials supplying a single dwelling such as the average home. I do not think there is any requirement to bond within a system supplying a single dwelling. It is better to start your own thread with a new question, I will move it for you.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fitted a 24 Way Sat Multi-Switch last year where the manufacturer recommended that the F Socket connection plates on the multi-switch where earthed to prevent interference being induced into the signal.