Bonding boiler pipes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traineeboy

Reaction score
Hi all just wanted to get some clarity with regards to bonding. I understand we bond main gas and water pipes if Metallic. On consumer side. 

am I correct in thinking under the 18th edition you don’t need supplementary bonding ? 

i.e if you have a boiler in the kitchen do the pipes going into it need to be bonding. I was on a job where the main gas needed to be bonding and I was given the job of doing it. The guy installing the boiler told me that I should be bonding the pipes under the boiler when he had gone. My mentor told me not to listen to the guy. He said under the 18th edition as long as the main gas is bonding supplementary bonding isn’t required. 

My understanding is if you can touch one hand on electric and one hand on the pipe it should be bonded. But if the main gas and water is bonded  is supplementary bonding required ? 

Modern boilers usually have a metal pipe jig that all pipes are connected through. This jig is part of the boiler which is earthed through its supply. 
In the days of boilers not having the pipe jig then a cross bond between pipes was required to ensure all pipes were electrically safe. 

Modern boilers usually have a metal pipe jig that all pipes are connected through. This jig is part of the boiler which is earthed through its supply. 
In the days of boilers not having the pipe jig then a cross bond between pipes was required to ensure all pipes were electrically safe. 
thanks for that makes sense. Am I right in thinking that in a bathroom supplementary bonding is not needed if there is an RCD protecting the circuits. 

thanks for that makes sense. Am I right in thinking that in a bathroom supplementary bonding is not needed if there is an RCD protecting the circuits. 

Yes so long as main bonding is in place and all circuits within and travelling through are protected by 30ma RCD.

I bonded my incoming, copper, oil supply pipe (not plastic coated). Used a micc clip with the insulation stripped off from memory.