Bonding question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudassar08

Reaction score
Hi as a apprentice i am undersanding most things but sorry for asking too many questions this will be the final one. Thanks to whoever answers my questions.
So if a Tt develops a fault from live to earth without tripping any breaker and supposedly saying the water pipe is bonded to the met and ofc that will rise to 240 aswell right? Right. Now the question is will all the surrounding properties have voltage on their pipes too cos the 240 from the faulty house will backfeed. The water mains is all common for the whole street.
Ty guys. This is a friendly forum!

This is why on a TT system to meet ADS we use an RCD.if just a MCB fed the fault it will form a potential divider with the impedance of the fault against the earth impedance of the water pipe to the DNO earthing point.
the potential of all conductive metal parts connected to the fault could rise.

This is why on a TT system to meet ADS we use an RCD.if just a MCB fed the fault it will form a potential divider with the impedance of the fault against the earth impedance of the water pipe to the DNO earthing point.
the potential of all conductive metal parts connected to the fault could rise.
Oh so would the neighbours pipes liven up too?

Btw ik you well from the other forum 😆

Hi as a apprentice i am undersanding most things but sorry for asking too many questions this will be the final one. Thanks to whoever answers my questions.
So if a Tt develops a fault from live to earth without tripping any breaker and supposedly saying the water pipe is bonded to the met and ofc that will rise to 240 aswell right? Right. Now the question is will all the surrounding properties have voltage on their pipes too cos the 240 from the faulty house will backfeed. The water mains is all common for the whole street.
Ty guys. This is a friendly forum!

yes, and i had exactly that a few years ago

large house converted into 2 (downstairs and upstairs). both with their own meter an DB in the hallway downstairs.

downstairs phones saying they are getting a shock from lots of things in the house. isolate their supply, still live. isolate upstairs (being refurbished, no one in at the time), not live. left upstairs isolated until owner could be contacted

short version, builder had done some work, dead short L-E, TT system with a fault current of about 5a. no RCD, not enough to blow the fuse. made downstairs pipework etc live. would have also affected properties each side

yes, and i had exactly that a few years ago

large house converted into 2 (downstairs and upstairs). both with their own meter an DB in the hallway downstairs.

downstairs phones saying they are getting a shock from lots of things in the house. isolate their supply, still live. isolate upstairs (being refurbished, no one in at the time), not live. left upstairs isolated until owner could be contacted

short version, builder had done some work, dead short L-E, TT system with a fault current of about 5a. no RCD, not enough to blow the fuse. made downstairs pipework etc live. would have also affected properties each side
That'll be scary living near a tt earther

Yes Andy , I did know that all ready, i was being facetious, it's Mudassar that did not ,I think he was talking about single core, single insulated ,for conduit, trunking, and panel wiring, he says he don't know about 1 core cable

Last edited:
Yes Andy , I did know that all ready, i was being facetious, it's Mudassar that did not ,I think he was talking about single core, single insulated ,for conduit, trunking, and panel wiring, he says he don't know about 1 core cable

i thought it was him i was replying to. msut have skipped a post. i knew you would know single core exists, just like almsot everyone else

it does not have to be a TT system for this to happen,
Cheers
Instead of me making a new thread ill just ask here
Can you use a corded drill to drive screws? Ik its not appropiate but sometimes corded not available

Cheers
Instead of me making a new thread ill just ask here
Can you use a corded drill to drive screws? Ik its not appropiate but sometimes corded not available

yes. you could also use a manual screwdriver. just make sure you get a right or left handed version to match the fixings you are using

Oh so would the neighbours pipes liven up too?

Btw ik you well from the other forum 😆

Who knows.. Who can guess... ??
Maybe plastic pipes wot electrikery don't link much?
or maybe not??

I would probably opt for phone a friend or better still call a competent electrician to pop round to do a comprehensive evaluation of exactly what you have got.. (or not).

So they can give you an accurate factual answer to your questions..
Second guessing via the internet is normally just a waste of time.

Too many of your questions lack sufficient factual accurate detail to give any reasonable answers..

It may help if you start by confirming exactly where you are coming from:-
qualified / unqualified / in training / DIY / other / etc..
charging for your work / experimenting in your own home / helping a friend / other / etc..
have test equipment / don't have test equipment / know how to use test equipment / thought a £20 multi-meter from Aldi was ok / Other / etc..

External faults can induce voltages into neighbouring properties..
External faults can cause neighbouring properties voltage operated ELCB to operate...

Some of your questions are on a par with me asking..
Do you think my current box of cornflakes will run out before next Wednesday???
far Too little background information to answer fully?

Last edited:

Latest posts