Bought myself a new toy .........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old boss had one of the old metrels, I really liked it, it did look a bit fisher price though. I've had meggers ever since. Only heard good things about the new metrels and if the old ones are anything to go by they're a decent unit. By all accounts they're backed up by some excellent customer services too. 

But is it an 18h edition tester?

we all know it has to have this written on it as 18th edition elecktrikery is different 😂😂😂
well this one can test EV charge points properly, so that would make it an 18th edition AMD v1 or v11 tester!

Last edited by a moderator:
But is it an 18h edition tester?

we all know it has to have this written on it as 18th edition elecktrikery is different 😂😂😂

This problem can soon be fixed with a half decent label printer...

I may just go any make our Microwave & Dishwasher 18th edition compliant.....

(any recommendations if bright yellow or plain white is the best background?) 

:innocent  

By all accounts they're backed up by some excellent customer services too. 

Thats not how it was for us, I can recall an instrument being away for warrenty repair for 6 months dispite regular chasing. As opposed to megger who normally manage to turn them around in a little over a week (and even did so for one that was technically out of warrenty)

Which set did you purchase?

Been looking at replacing my 18 year old Metrel 61557 eurotest with the 3152 just can't make up my mind which set I need / want

Its the 3152 standard set. I did think about buying the bundle with the EV tester, but decided I would buy that option later if needed.

Off down the shed CU later to have a play with it - easier than messing around on the house CU!

Thats not how it was for us, I can recall an instrument being away for warrenty repair for 6 months dispite regular chasing. As opposed to megger who normally manage to turn them around in a little over a week (and even did so for one that was technically out of warrenty)
That's bad. I would have expected them to provide a replacement meter for the duration of the repair or provided me with a new one as anything that takes 6months to repair I would say wasn't fit for purpose. 

was that before they moved their uk office to Surrey?

when my old one had a problem about 3 years ago, they lent me one for a week while mine was repaired. And my old one was well out of warranty

Before Metrel had a UK office Alphatek were the distributors for Metrel in the UK, at that time some Metrel meters were badged and sold as Alphatek meters , back then service was hit and miss

Its the 3152 standard set. I did think about buying the bundle with the EV tester, but decided I would buy that option later if needed.

Off down the shed CU later to have a play with it - easier than messing around on the house CU!
So how did the bench test go, are you up to speed with it?

well, had a little play today and have a 4 way cu change in an empty flat on Tuesday so I’m going to take both testers and see how I get on. 

noticed one thing the old one did but can’t see how to do it on the new one and that’s the auto L-N , L-E and N-E IR tests 

Well ........still swapping between the old on on existing jobs and the new one on new jobs but I would say its a very clever bit of kit

These guys give you an insight 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0ZXaYcWba0

The memory function is far cleverer than my old AT and its taking some time to get used to.

One thing I do like is the test that will do a Zl and then the Ze with one push of the button

one frustration is the battery life with the touch screen, so turning down the brightness, setting the screen off to 30 sec and turning off the blue tooth has helped a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: