Brewery Control Boxes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copper Beech

Reaction score
I have to build a control unit for our Brewery which will control heating heating elements in our Hot Liqour Tank and Boil Kettle. The Boil Kettle has 3 x 5.5Kw elements powered through Solid State Relays so with all 3 on and ancillary equipment on at the same time I’m looking at drawing 80A. I have built a similar unit for our smaller brewery but that was around 50A so I had no problem sourcing 64A rated plugs and sockets. I was looking at having one supply to the unit but I’m having trouble sourcing higher rated plugs/sockets etc can anyone help? Should I consider supplying the Elements separately using 32A connectors or should I consider hard wiring the supply. Any help and advice would be most appreciated. I’ve attached a diagram of the smaller unit if that helps. The new unit will be very similar but with the higher rated elements.

Attachments

• CD4ABA5E-DCCD-4629-A613-7BD53444C21B.jpeg
    CD4ABA5E-DCCD-4629-A613-7BD53444C21B.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 15
You can buy "commando" style industrial plugs and sockets for 125 amp, e.g. RS.
Should you choose to buy mating parts from different makes beware. I found to my cost some years ago that the standards, BS-EN whatever only covers the pin configurations and different makes didn't necessarily have compatible locking bits on their shells. That was some years ago so might have been resolved now.

Did you realise that the panel you propose is covered by law that requires certain standards are met because you are using it within a business?

You can buy "commando" style industrial plugs and sockets for 125 amp, e.g. RS.
Should you choose to buy mating parts from different makes beware. I found to my cost some years ago that the standards, BS-EN whatever only covers the pin configurations and different makes didn't necessarily have compatible locking bits on their shells. That was some years ago so might have been resolved now.
Hi, thanks for the reply, I should have said that we are only a small business and the jump in cost from 64A rated to 125A is cost prohibitive.

I don't know the layout or any other details of your plant but when you mentioned separate 32 amp plugs for each element I wondered if that may have advantages, in being able to disconnect each one separately. e.g. testing, fault finding, operating with one element "out"?