Broken ceiling light fitting

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

ivorypanic

Reaction score
Heeey there, my ceiling light fitting is broken. It seems an old one, and I guess I need a replacement.

17042008060.jpg

17042008061.jpg

Parts as shown above. Anyway cant seem to find anywhere that sells em.

Reaction score
Heeey there, my ceiling light fitting is broken. It seems an old one, and I guess I need a replacement.
17042008060.jpg

17042008061.jpg

Parts as shown above. Anyway cant seem to find anywhere that sells em.
Hi

I pressume this is this the sort of lamp holder that has a thread on the back and scews onto the main fitting?

you can most certainly get them as KME shows...

also I think even some of the B&Q depots have them.

You may somtimes need a thread adaptor / reducer bit to interface between the new brass holder and the light fitting?

I did a re-furb a couple of years back on a load of brass wall & ceiling lights.

I also re-threaded new wire through each lamp holder cuz sometimes if they have come off the wires behind have been twisted to death & thier insulation cracks & perishes?

so double check the wires before connecting a new lamp hoilder....

it may be good if you can get an insulation resistance test done on the fitting itself before reconnecting it to the main house wiring?

:) :)

ivorypanic

Reaction score
OK so I got one of those from the shop. First thing I notice is theres 3 connectors on it, presumably for an earth...anyway dont have one, so just left it. Now the other two are labelled; one says N, the other L. Presumably live and neutral if school physics lessons serves me well. I have two wires, a red and a black. I guessed red was live, and black neutral. I had to cut back the wires a bit, i revealed the core bit, twisted it, put it into the relevant holes and screwed them in place.

But still no joy. Now I know its a live circuit (or at least it was before I tested it) because I put this little electrical tester thing on it and it basically blew it up. I guess I should have turned it off first huh! Anyway that tripped the fuse, so I flipped that back on and had a go at putting on the new fitting as described above...

So what now? I'm baffled. I don't see why it wont work.

Reaction score
OK so I got one of those from the shop. First thing I notice is theres 3 connectors on it, presumably for an earth...anyway dont have one, so just left it. Now the other two are labelled; one says N, the other L. Presumably live and neutral if school physics lessons serves me well. I have two wires, a red and a black. I guessed red was live, and black neutral. I had to cut back the wires a bit, i revealed the core bit, twisted it, put it into the relevant holes and screwed them in place.But still no joy. Now I know its a live circuit (or at least it was before I tested it) because I put this little electrical tester thing on it and it basically blew it up. I guess I should have turned it off first huh! Anyway that tripped the fuse, so I flipped that back on and had a go at putting on the new fitting as described above...

Ivory:

No offence intended m8, but you need a sparx in. The fitting has an earth connection for a good reason. If you haven`t got an earth, chances are your house wiring won`t be up to scratch.

I would STRONGLY suggest having a periodic inspection of the wiring done. The other thing which concerns me here is that you "flipped" the fuse. This suggests a fairly new consumer unit; yet your wiring to your lights appears unearthed. With a class 1 fitting (exposed metal), the installer should have picked that up when the CU was installed.

I`m sorry this isn`t more helpful, but IMHO you NEED to get your wiring checked professionally.

KME

Reaction score
OK so I got one of those from the shop. First thing I notice is theres 3 connectors on it, presumably for an earth...anyway dont have one, so just left it. Now the other two are labelled; one says N, the other L. Presumably live and neutral if school physics lessons serves me well. I have two wires, a red and a black. I guessed red was live, and black neutral. I had to cut back the wires a bit, i revealed the core bit, twisted it, put it into the relevant holes and screwed them in place.But still no joy. Now I know its a live circuit (or at least it was before I tested it) because I put this little electrical tester thing on it and it basically blew it up. I guess I should have turned it off first huh! Anyway that tripped the fuse, so I flipped that back on and had a go at putting on the new fitting as described above...

Your assumptions of the connections sound basically correct..

but..

Do you mean the metal holder screws onto another metal part of the light fitting, and...

1] there is no earth at the lampholder but there is an earth further up the fitting?

2] there is no earth at the lampholder OR anywhere on the fitting?

If 1 we may be ok.... but..

if 2 the fitting is to old and obsolete to be reconnected safely... unless you can thread an earth connection onto it?

[otherwise go straight to KME suggestion...

get a proper spark to check it out!!]

I still suggest it should be insulation resitance tested before reconnecting to the main house wiring.

Can we have a picture of the rest of the light??

It may have popped the fuse cuz other parts of the wires have exposed bits shorting out.

If in doubt stop & get local help...

If you do it wrong risks include electric shock.. & starting a fire!

and none of us want that :( :(

ivorypanic

Reaction score
Ivory:No offence intended m8, but you need a sparx in. The fitting has an earth connection for a good reason. If you haven`t got an earth, chances are your house wiring won`t be up to scratch.

I would STRONGLY suggest having a periodic inspection of the wiring done. The other thing which concerns me here is that you "flipped" the fuse. This suggests a fairly new consumer unit; yet your wiring to your lights appears unearthed. With a class 1 fitting (exposed metal), the installer should have picked that up when the CU was installed.

I`m sorry this isn`t more helpful, but IMHO you NEED to get your wiring checked professionally.

KME
I think you're right. Theres alot of dodgy electrics in this house...time to get the old bank account prepd then. Cheers mate.