BT Phone Extensions - How Many?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mansel7

Reaction score
First Post, so dont slate me, telephones ain't my thing

I've read, and I think understood, Welsh Wizards posting on REN etc, but does the REN of 4 apply only to the audible ring of the phone after the master socket. Is it possible, or what would be the effect of 6 telephone outlets after the master, would it simply be a case of not all phones would ring but the comms thru the line would be ok, or is that too simplistic a view.

Any help welcome guys, thanks

Nice Site layout btw

The number of telephone OUTLETS is not a problem for ringing; but 6 TELEPHONES is a problem in that the REN of 6 telephones will be at least 6, and the exchange's line equipment is only capable of driving ringers to a total of REN4. If you need to have 6 phones connected to the line, you are going to need a REN booster. Looking at a few suppliers shows that they are around

Do new digi/electric phones still have ren ratings. The reason I ask is that do they require the voltage to make them ring like the old fashion ones

Do new digi/electric phones still have ren ratings. The reason I ask is that do they require the voltage to make them ring like the old fashion ones
I understand most phones have a 1 REN rating or above.

However many have hands free (with remote sub-stations that have no effect on the REN).

I understand most phones have a 1 REN rating or above.However many have hands free (with remote sub-stations that have no effect on the REN).
Back in my earlier life when I did my apprentiship within the telecommunications industry there were more items around with a REN greater than 1.

some fax machines, answer machines, dial-up auto answer modems had REN of 1.5 or even 2! which reduced the number of actual phones you could stick on the line.

However nowerdays with more electronics, I think most bog standard modern phones are classed a REN 1, there should be a sticker on the bottom.

However if you live close to your exchange and the local loop is short you can power more than REN 4!

It is basically just the reference mark that BT say should work i.e. if you can power four phones you have no grounds to complain.. but if it struggles to ring three phones you should be able to get BT out to improve quality the line at thier cost!

Remember the REN is simultaniously connected phone equipment, NOT number of LJU sockets..

Much the same as the old Volt drop problem on long cable runs. how much load are you drawing at the extremities of the circuit???????????