BT Telephone Extension.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1

Forum Founder
Reaction score
I am looking at fitting a BT phone extension at home. (I have added pics, below - for your viewing of what I am talking about.

The missus bout a 10 meter telephone extension lead in town this morning. And I also asked to get a Telephone faceplate too.

What I would like to know is - is it acceptable to use the ext' lead with the female end removed and terinate this into the Phone face (plate) (I will keep the mael plug on the end to plug into my BT Master socket)?

The colouring and instructions that accompany the Extension Face Plate are different to that of the colouring of the extension cable. (poor quality too -Black was soldered to the Yellow :_| ).

The colours I have are 2. Black 3. Yellow 4. Black (again) & 5. Orange. Plain colours!

If I connect the above up to the corresponding numbered terminations on the face plate - I should be alright? Yes??

Thanks In advance.

P343.jpg

P19.jpg

P22.jpg

P25.jpg

P27.jpg

CrapPic.jpg

Sorry - I forgot to mention that I will be using it for broadband too. So it will be alright for that - Yes? :)

any probs there will be someone on here til the small hours :^O

:^O :^O:^O

If there are no problems, I'll give you a ring - If there are problems, I will send the couier Pigeon. :^O :^O:^O

Sorry - I forgot to mention that I will be using it for broadband too. So it will be alright for that - Yes? :)
you can wire all 5 terminals if you want ,, does no harm

your set up will be fine for your broadband.

This is actually really easy - I managed it! We have 2 phone lines in our house through the same BT cable so you can have broadband fine on just 2 wires.

:D

Broadband only needs 1 pair to work anyway, I have actually seen it working when only 1 wire is connected but obviously the pots doesn't. Another thing to be aware of is that crap extension wiring can also create havoc with downstream rates so make sure all the terminations are nice and tight.

Hope this helps

Graham

Normally bt cable is solid core and you need a punch down tool to terminate it but from your photos your face plate has screws and the ext cable looks stranded so you will be ok

myself I would wire it straight into the back of the master with proper telephone cable because cheap ext cables could affect your Internet connection speed

Normally bt cable is solid core and you need a punch down tool to terminate it
Yes - I have a punch down tool. :)

but from your photos your face plate has screws
Yes, It does. :)

and the ext cable looks stranded so you will be ok
It is, Mate.

myself I would wire it straight into the back of the master with proper telephone cable because cheap ext cables could affect your Internet connection speed
Hmm - If only I knew some BT engineers. - But I don't. :(

cheap ext cables could affect your Internet connection speed
Depends where you connect your server. If it's to master socket then won't affect connection speed! El Cheapo SF telephone extensions work fine upstairs @ my house.

i used to be a telephone engineer but you way to far for me to gosorry
Only for Telephone wire. Not to actually do it Theory. :)

I`ll do it when I get back. Do it your way for now, and we`ll deal with it later. :)
Aww Bless - Thanks. If it works alright when I get around to doing it - I will seriously consider leaving it that way. :p

You will find that ext lead an absolute nightmare to fit with those silk like strands of copper + not as good for broadband as a 'proper bit of kit'
:(

Have you got any BT wire in stock there, Please - KME?

Thanks Slips - That is the troble Mate. - Postage.