Building control

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyrj

Reaction score
Hi, ive just rang building control(Mid Sussex) to ask for price for notifying them of a job iam pricing.which is some alterations in a kitchen. As i mainly do commercial work its not worth me registering with a scheme. They didnt seem to have any idea, and just told me to do the work and get somebody who is part p registered to test it. After telling them that i should be able to apply to them for permission to do the work, and then test and certificate it myself and for one of there officers to come and see the job ,they said that they have nobody qualified to do this, but they would get back to me later after asking somebody else in the department who might know. How frustrating is this that all councils in the country dont have the same rules in place for part p.

I do know that some scheme providers won't allow their members to test and issue cert for work not done by themself! It must be upto BC to find someone qualified then :|

The NICEIC state that their members should not under,any circumstances, certify others work . Yet Birmingham Building Control will arrange a contractor to certify a DIY job, charge,

Part P specifically FORBIDS third party inspect and test unless at the request of LABC. Unfortunately many BC officers can barely do their own job let alone police Part P. X(

The NICEIC state that their members should not under,any circumstances, certify others work . Yet Birmingham Building Control will arrange a contractor to certify a DIY job, charge,

Thats a good point Heathy, but will BC accept it . I notify Part P jobs online via ELECSA as we are directed but I'm told that the LBC delete all incomming Part P,s as they can't handle or store them. Bit of a dog's dinner really 'aint it ??

Deke

Hi, ive just rang building control(Mid Sussex) to ask for price for notifying them of a job iam pricing.which is some alterations in a kitchen. As i mainly do commercial work its not worth me registering with a scheme. They didnt seem to have any idea, and just told me to do the work and get somebody who is part p registered to test it. After telling them that i should be able to apply to them for permission to do the work, and then test and certificate it myself and for one of there officers to come and see the job ,they said that they have nobody qualified to do this, but they would get back to me later after asking somebody else in the department who might know. How frustrating is this that all councils in the country dont have the same rules in place for part p.
Makes a total mockery of the whole thing of PART P doesn't it. X(

Thats a good point Heathy, but will BC accept it . I notify Part P jobs online via ELECSA as we are directed but I'm told that the LBC delete all incomming Part P,s as they can't handle or store them. Bit of a dog's dinner really 'aint it ??Deke
Soungs like a right dogs dinner that does, i do the same as you, online to NIC,

daveGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

my labc just tell you get on with just give us a certificate when you are finished

Had simular experience where i live. Informed building control of intention to do a kitchen rewire, was told to crack on and that they woul;d send out an inspector when work was complete. However, they dont employ any inspectors but subby it out. 5 days later i get letter asking me to go and inspect my own work!!!!! Must be greatr to have finger on pulse.Applaud Smiley

Did work, signed certificates and billed them!

I got a call back from them eventually and they want me to send them copies of my c+g certificates etc to prove im qualified, and then pay