Burried <50mm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As in cable down one side of the wall, into a s/o and then straight through into a s/o on the opposite side of the wall?

If it is surface clipped then the &lt;50mm rule would not apply?

I personally, wouldn't worry about the &lt;50mm rule with the cable entering the s/o - backbox - either.

But that is just my opinion, see what others think. :D

I know that the surface clipped part is compliant, but the bit going through the wall is technically at &lt;50mm, although I also think that the risk of damage to the cable by nails/screws is nill as the accessory is in the way!

I'd say that damage to nails/screw penetration in non-existant.

How wide is the actual wall in the boiler room?

Are you really going to worry about 4-6 inches of cable?

No, I wouldn't either.

To be really nit picky, the cable is not running horizontally or vertically on one side of the wall.

Would you worry about the tails embedded in the wall entering a consumer unit 6 inches below the ceiling. I wouldn't but the regs require you to rcd them or protect them with metal conduit . The way I look at it is, we need to use some common sense, there is very little chance that someone is going to damage the cables in both instances so I wouldn't worry about it

Would you worry about the tails embedded in the wall entering a consumer unit 6 inches below the ceiling. I wouldn't but the regs require you to rcd them or protect them with metal conduit . The way I look at it is, we need to use some common sense, there is very little chance that someone is going to damage the cables in both instances so I wouldn't worry about it
Concur entirely with common sense..

one of the best ways to understand what a reg is on about is check the context of the section a particular reg is in...

e.g. 522.6.6, 522.6.7, &amp; 522.6.8 which are the main ones referring to &lt;50mm &amp; RCDs..

Chapter 52 is selection &amp; erection of wiring systems.

522 is in relation to external influences.

522.6 is in relation to impact.

So these requirements are to prevent External Impact damaging the cable!

Common sense tells you that in certain locations/situations

external impact damage risk is negligible or down-right impossible!!!

whereas in other location the risk may be probable or very likely!!!

in which case, install &amp; construct your wiring system appropriately using the wiring regulations "GUIDANCE"!

As said...

a cable coming through a wall in to the back of an accessory..

is not going to be at risk of impact damage.. ;)

unless the accessory itself has already being demolished by the impact... :|

(a plane crashing into property! :^O :^O:^O:^ O)

Yep, but more like - Boiler controls (room stat) surface clipped in boiler cupboard then through wall and into said stat..
One other side issue of this thread.....

IMHO

the Boiler/heating controls aren't actually part of the fixed wiring of an installtion... ;)

e.g.

If doing a PIR...

you would only test as far as the fused spur (or socket) supplying the boiler...

you don't do any Ins res or r1/r2 readings along the heating control cables!

They would normally be protected by a 3amp fuse at the boiler supply..

which should pop rather sharpish if the cables were cut/shorted etc..?? :)

Interesting point raised there - where wiring which IS technically fixed, and a part of the structure of the building, is also effectively part of an appliance. Should we (indeed does anyone?) note on their certs that the c.h. control wiring has not been checked?

To take that further - as Noz correctly says, heating control wiring is notifiable work, and notification is confirming compliance with part "p", and having issued appropriate certification. Would you issue a MWC for a C.H. stat?? Would you notify it to building control??

(Please note, the last question is would, not should you!!)

Ah, but boiler control wiring is notifyable under part P..
That is very true!!! I had forgotten about.. (additional note n, Pg9 App Doc P)

However that brings up a other contradictions..

e.g. only NEW central heating control wiring, even if not in kitchens..

But what about extending old wiring... say moving a room thermostat????

notify or not theoretically no need?? ?:| ; \ :eek: :|

What cert would you use for a this if only work is central heating alteration?

would there be anything of any use written on it???

e.g. circuit details R1+R2 not to room stat,

and cuz the supply FCU/Socket will not have changed?

and then we are back to the 17th &amp; RCD question if supply circuit part buried??

ohhhhhhh! the joys of Regs &amp; P's! :D

I think I shall open another beer and let me brain rest! :D :^O:^O:^O

Personally I would not RCD in this instance' date=' but I thought that it was worthy of discussion..[/quote']

Concur most defiantly always helpful to bat a few thoughts around! :D

SL..............

pushy, shovey thing comes to mind again........ :x :x:x;) ]:) :^O

This one could provoke some heated discussion............. :D :D] :)

Noz - I wouldn`t Zs the stat. period.

SL - I see you actually got a pushy, shovey post in BEFORE me again.

*****] :) :p :eek: :x :^O:^O

Interesting point raised there - where wiring which IS technically fixed, and a part of the structure of the building, is also effectively part of an appliance. Should we (indeed does anyone?) note on their certs that the c.h. control wiring has not been checked?To take that further - as Noz correctly says, heating control wiring is notifiable work, and notification is confirming compliance with part "p", and having issued appropriate certification. Would you issue a MWC for a C.H. stat?? Would you notify it to building control??

(Please note, the last question is would, not should you!!)
We are both thinking on the same lines there bud! :)

Was typing away and find you have pretty well asked exactley what I had been thinking... ;)

Need them faster typing fingers Me thinks!!! :eek: :^O:^O

SL..............pushy, shovey thing comes to mind again........ :x :x:x;) ]:) :^O

This one could provoke some heated discussion............. :D :D] :)

Noz - I wouldn`t Zs the stat. period.

SL - I see you actually got a pushy, shovey post in BEFORE me again.

*****] :) :p:O:x:^O:^O
oh!

I do luv it when you talk dirty!

sure is gettin hot in here...

Turn that thermostat down someone....

Oh bum its broke......

Someone Ins Res tested it at 500V!!!! :^O :^O:^O:^O