burying meter tails

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
Just a thought

can we still do it ????

got a meter box/ supply move and consumer unit is going 2m on the otherside of wall in the hallway

Trunking is going to look pants

So far as I am aware - yes you can, obviously it will not be RCD protected so you either have to do all that 522.6.6 says or bury it more than 50mm.

If you dont wnat to dig out 2" of wall then you can do what sec iv of that reg says and 'ensure it is mechanically protected against damage sufficient to prevent penetration of the cable by nails, screws and the like'

If I put them in the wall I tend to cover them in some metal plating anyway, the thought of anyone going through the tails does not enthrall me so I like to err well on the side of caution.

When I put them in the cavity I usually put them through a bit of service ducting sometimes a bit differcult but gives them a bit of protection.

Batty

Is meter box flush or surface ie is it cavity wall or solid.Batty
it is surface mounted

and i think trying to get it in the cavity will be a no goer

Theory

I have put a few in cavity on existing jobs. Usually do it with a 9'' grinder. If its possible it will get over problem of tails.

Batty

Batty

unfortuantely the cavity option has been pooh poohed by the customer

i suppose i could remove a brick behind the box just to get access and put a half brick back

So is the box already in if so like you say you could take a few bricks out and then feed cables up cavity unless it full of insulation. The other alternative is to use armoured cable outside not pretty but if its a surface box what the heck.

Batty

we are putting the box on the wall monday in prep for Dno

i now have a few ideas to work with

cheers m8

Theo:

I posted about this very question back in April/May....

The issue we had was the run down the wall, to the CU.

The eventual decision was to batten the wall, and put plating over the cables to the CU.

Stand by for link......

Latest posts