Business is Drying up

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extension15

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, last couple of weeks, it's gone very quiet, I've got a couple of days off..

Don't start back till Monday....... :eek:

(My brother is a Painter & decorator (for 5 years+), and he's about to call it a day if things don't pick up... :_| )

A few 2nd fixes waiting in the wings.

Not looking good.

Not sure whats going

i was in the wholesalers today 2 old head sparkies talking,,,,one was stacked out with work the other only had a weeks worth on the go

i had 3 days light last week,,cant move now for three weeks

?:| ? :|

Not sure whats goingi was in the wholesalers today 2 old head sparkies talking,,,,one was stacked out with work the other only had a weeks worth on the go

A chat with builder this evening, said it was getting really bad.. :_|

Not sure whats goingi was in the wholesalers today 2 old head sparkies talking,,,,one was stacked out with work the other only had a weeks worth on the go

you'd better go to bed early Tonight then, Mate. :D

I don`t know about anyone else; but I`m flat out, and poeple STILL trying to get "little jobs" fitted in! I would say there`s seven to ten weeks lined up at the moment.

I`ve even taken a part time labourer on to help get through the jobs quicker.

Where are you ext? I might be able to pass you summat?

Good to hear that KME.

Exto is in Leceister.

Im down 25% on last year few second fixes to do, regular maintenance contracts but not much new buld work in pipeline.

Still got high tax payments on account to make based on the last two years tax bills.

High Diseal costs

NICIEC

Part P

TAX

INSURANCE

N

TOOLS

VEHICLE

Is it really worth it any more as a sole trader.

I know it doesn't really help but....

I work for a council, the pay is never going to match what I could make working private. However the benefits and guarantees do make up for it and you do have the satisfaction of being a 'public servant' (if you're into that).

Perhaps it's worth looking at a short tenure with a firm? You can always pick up private jobs as extra perks?

Personally, I think the 'credit crunch' will be over within two years tops. The banks have over extended themselves too much but will come back on track soon. It will mean that house prices will come back down from the silly levels they are at the moment and that's not a bad thing. So what if the house looses 15% in value? It's all relative. The only people it's really going to effect is the poor sods who took out 120% mortgages but you could argue that was poor financial planning. Doesn't make it any easier though.

However my sympathies go out to you all, hard times are coming but not for long.

Not sure where I saw it, but the ability to pay the bills, eat, have a little drink ( :D )..

1 holiday per year (well at least 6 weeks long:D).......

Has got be a reasonable target, given the current economic climate..

(That better KME?)

:)

I`m sorry to be thick here ext; but I don`t quite understand last post.....Translation into a language we both speak would be advantageous??

:) :)
Dam, I haven't finished my post, KME...

(I'll get my coat)

:_|

Not sure where I saw it, but the ability to pay the bills, eat, have a little drink ( :D )..1 holiday per year (well at least 6 weeks long:D).......

Has got be a reasonable target, given the current economic climate..

(That better KME?)

:)
AH..........

NOW I`m with you:) :) :) :)

Thankyou. And yes, accepting that I`ve had four weeks abroad in the last nine months, and still not had a 1st birthday party for the business; it looks like Wales is the place to be.???

Not really. Many of my oppos here are bemoaning the lack of work; while a few are really, REALLY busy! Odd! (Not the cheap ones, either)#

:D ;)

AH..........NOW I`m with you:) :) :) :)

Thankyou. And yes, accepting that I`ve had four weeks abroad in the last nine months, and still not had a 1st birthday party for the business; it looks like Wales is the place to be.???

Not really. Many of my oppos here are bemoaning the lack of work; while a few are really, REALLY busy! Odd! (Not the cheap ones, either)#

:D ;)
Well some businesses will always be busy, regardless, i suppose..

:|

Well some businesses will always be busy, regardless, i suppose.. :|
Yes, accepted. But the strange bit is that it seems to be ALL trades. I have tame plumbers, roofers, builders, decorators etc, that I specify on MY jobs. My next-door neighbour is a car repair garage. They`re each saying that most of their colleagues are quiet; and indeed some of my oppos are too. Yet there`s the odd business; not the oldest or biggest, or, as I suggested earlier, cheapest, who are absolutely run off their feet.

I know of two or three reputable sparkin` companies, local to me, who are laying boys off. Yet I, who hardly advertise, and haven`t been long established as a business, have almost too much work to deal with.

I was hoping to have the wekend off; but it looks like I`ll have to work Sat & Sun morn., just to keep up with it all!

"These are Queer times, these are":O:O