Business phone?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetheglitz

Electrician
Reaction score
Hi All,

Hope some of you established sparkys can help me out here!

I'm thinking about starting off on my own - but don't know what to do about phone lines and mobiles. I want the facility to be able to automatically redirect calls to my mobile and to have a 2 column advert in Yellow Pages (big debate I know!).

Can I do all that on my home phone - or do I need to get a business line?

Second question - do any of you bother with a Fax machine?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Dave

I use what was the home phone number (BT) for all my incomming business calls (plus the tiresome sales type calls X( ) & have it listed in the yellow pages/ yell.com advert + some other free adverts locally & on my cards/letterheads, haven't bothered with call forwarding to mobile number but this can be set up as a BT service (so they told me) for a cost, I have included the mobile number in my adverts that way it's upto the customer what number they call. All I have set up is the answer phone system.

For the home phone number I now use the BT voip phone (signed up to the broadband package) free outgoing calls, so this gets used when calling customers back when replying to messages left on the other number.

And for Mrs m107 & little 107's to call all unsundry & natter for hours on end.

I dont have a fax but the pc printer needs replacing soon, so will be going for the all in one fax/printer/scanner job

(sold the all in one idea to Mrs m107 by showing how easy it is to print photos off the memory card.....card in slot & push button simple........... no dear the photo printing is simple not you..............ouch :x )

By the way yellow pages has worked for me best

Agree with M107.

Mobile number is essential as some people want to get hold of a spark asap. (Not all - granted).

Obviously it is very important for a landline number to be listed too.

As for the fax machine - I would do as M107 said - by an all in one printer.

And lastly - Good Luck Dave. :)

ALL my landline calls are diverted to my business mobile..

So regardless of which number they call, I always get the call to my MOBILE.

I have a all in one (with FAX), but have never used the fax facility, but I do scan documents, then email them.

Diverted calls, you will pay for them (as well as the caller), at rated determined by time of day etc (mobiles are charged slightly higher I believe).

And remember...A missed call is a job lost to a competitor...

Kev

Thanks for your replies.

When you're as green about starting up as I am you can get into a mind set that you need services conditioned specifically for business. I thought that you neeed a business line to get in the yellow pages - but I suppose now that it has separated off you can pay for an advert - and i don't want to give up the home phone number.

I don't think I will bother with the fax machine either!

Thanks guys - you've saved me some money - lets hope that now I can make some!

Thanks for your replies.When you're as green about starting up as I am you can get into a mind set that you need services conditioned specifically for business. I thought that you neeed a business line to get in the yellow pages - but I suppose now that it has separated off you can pay for an advert - and i don't want to give up the home phone number.

I don't think I will bother with the fax machine either!

Thanks guys - you've saved me some money - lets hope that now I can make some!
The idea of having a seprate line for a business is 'old hat' these days, especially for a one man band...

(Working from home)..

Dave remind me (I should know by now), what area are you in? And what's the competition like?

:D

M107, What area are you in and was that the book or just web? Yours is the first time I've heard anything good about yellow pages.
It works for me.....

I'm in Leicester and loads of competition.

Keep the ad simple and indicate what area (suburb) you are in.....

cheers Ext, our local one has just been delivered so thats stuffed it for 12 months - looking into yell.com though.

M107, What area are you in and was that the book or just web? Yours is the first time I've heard anything good about yellow pages.
Berkshire/Hampshire area

I have the ad in the book + the free line ad's with yell.com & Thompson local.

The bloke from YP I had dealings with was very good, I submitted what I wanted on the advert he rejigged it to fit the 12 line advert content.

Only draw back is the sudden influx of sales calls & it's due to YP selling on your number, only lasted a few weeks they soon get the message to foxtrot oscar.