BUZZZING DIMMERS

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xepedro

Reaction score
Hi,
I have 5 x completely separate lighting circuits of recessed down-lighters which are both buzzing & after a period, flickering.
The heaviest circuit in terms of load has 22 x 240v down-lighters all equipped with 4.4w dimmable LED lamps - I believe the lamps are all 'integral' or 'meridian' GU10 brands purchased from Toolstation.

I'm presuming the dimmer module itself is under powered? Any tips on suitable module replacements or remedies?
I have come across the 'Zano' range - Thoughts all apreciated.
Thanks in advance

You will need to check the rating of the dimmer, some dimmers don’t do led very well as not designed for such a low load.
Have you recently changed the lamps from traditional halogen to led?
Have the dinners been changed since led were put in?

Hi, Appreciate the response.
Dimmers are "Aurora' brand,
2 way - 240v 50/60MHz
Min Load: 60W
Max load: 400w
The lamps LED & the dimmers were what what originally installed as far as I know.

dimming LED can be a real pain in the neck as not all LED dimmers and lamps aare compatible. Zanos will cope with most lamps, so that is worth a try. If that is unsuccessful, then I would change the lamps for Osram. I have found these work well with Zano dimmers.

Your dimmer switch is not meant to be used with LED lamps, (its 60w rating is a clue) you need a dedicated LED dimmer

Sorry I forgot to add, you want "Trailing edge" NOT leading edge.

I have a "vari-light" dimmer. If you do get one, do read the instructions as even though "it's just a dimmer" it's programmable (Very easy, and gives a good result.)

I Threw an aurora dimmer in the bin the other day! flickering madly and manager complaining .
Fitted a Zano Smartled 5-250w and smooth as a baby's backside now,pricey but programmable and guaranteed. Never fit cheapo dimmers it's just false economy and check your lamps everytime ! I have to with staff being clever changing lamps for non dimmable ones "grrrr".

Did a house rewire, all rooms fitted with Enlite Aurora LED downlights and Varilight V-Pro dimmers, no problems at all, however, the wall lights Had Enlite LED GU10's, and they buzzed like hell! Changed for Philips LED GU10 and they were silent, also the advantage that when dimmed, the colour temperature lowered giving a really warm "halogen" look

I Threw an aurora dimmer in the bin the other day! flickering madly and manager complaining .
Fitted a Zano Smartled 5-250w and smooth as a baby's backside now,pricey but programmable and guaranteed. Never fit cheapo dimmers it's just false economy and check your lamps everytime ! I have to with staff being clever changing lamps for non dimmable ones "grrrr".
rexel do 'own brand' zanos at lower cost

V pro easy to programme? When I give a customer the “user” instructions they invariably want me to do any reprogramming. Why call them user instructions?