Cable gland? 3 phase 50mm meter tails

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

switch10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys , wonder if you can help , I am completing an electrical installation shortly and meter installer is requesting all 3 phase meter tails to enter galv box trunking through 1 single gland .

However I have 3 phase board with 50mm meter tails and can’t seem to find a gland/ or brass gland / grommet big enough for 3 phases and neutral to go through .

Any help very much appreciated

Hi guys , wonder if you can help , I am completing an electrical installation shortly and meter installer is requesting all 3 phase meter tails to enter galv box trunking through 1 single gland .

However I have 3 phase board with 50mm meter tails and can’t seem to find a gland/ or brass gland / grommet big enough for 3 phases and neutral to go through .

Any help very much appreciated
Are you suggesting you put them through separate glands,?

You just need a large enough brass male bush, lock ring and I normally top it off with a female bush.

Would anyone know where I can purchase a gland big enough? This needs to be for all 3 phases and neutral? Normally deal with 25mm tails . However the meter company are requesting 50mm meter tails and I can’t find a gland big enough for all them to go through together .

Are you sure they want them glanded and not just bushed you can however get 70mm glands.

63mm glands are reasonably easy enough to get hold of, not sure if youd get 50mm tails through it though. larger may exist, but ive not seen or needed any

Are you sure they want them glanded and not just bushed you can however get 70mm glands.
As long as can be through a single entry point going into galvanised box trunking they didn’t specify just single entry - which I normally do with 25mm tails but this is a larger supply so 50mm tails . Will try a 70 but don’t think all cables will fit through together still

I would suggest you require a bush kit and not a gland, alternatively the other suggestions will suffice. Meter monkey is probably thinking that you don’t know about harmonics, mind I’m not sure they do either? Hence the suggestion of a single gland, being their reference to a single hole for all cables. Naturally this is what we would do anyway and how we achieve it is down to us not meter monkey.